Network Analysis of Polygons

08-02-2019 01:50 AM
JesseIsaacson1
New Contributor

OK, so I am pretty new to ArcMap and ArcGIS.  I have done some more basic stuff in 10.1 and just decided to trial the ArcGIS Pro.  Here's what I have/need:

I have a set of polygons ( buffers around bus routes in my city).  Right now, they have no time attributes to them.  Then I have a list of pick ups and drop offs (with times) for trips we provide which I need to see if they fall into any of those polygons.  Here's the harder part: it's not just if they fall into the polygon spatially, but temporally as well (both place AND time).  

I do have the GTFS data for my city, which I could use somehow.  But that's the thing, I can't figure out how to get from the GTFS data to having these 3/4 mile buffers around each route, each having a start and stop time.  (The buffers would have a start time of the earliest stop on the route, and an end time of the latest stop on the route).  I tried following a tutorial, but got lost when I had to create a network dataset.  And I'm not sure that was entirely correct anyway.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sure I'm far from the only person that needs to do this, but unfortunately we don't have any GIS experts on staff.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulMattern1
New Contributor II

My guess is that you're comparing Demand Response Trips to the time it would take to use the Fixed Route system for the same trip to ensure the Complementary ADA service is equitable to the fixed route service.

Or, are looking to see if the trips fall within a certain time of operation to see which service the rider should use?

0 Kudos
JesseIsaacson1
New Contributor
That’s actually a really good idea, but not what I’m shooting for right now. I’m probably going to be back for advice on that later...
But for now I’m basically trying to figure out if certain pickups and drop offs fell within certain ADA polygons when the polygons were active, and generate a list of all polygons each trip fell in. Does that make sense?
I have the list of trips from my database, including a date, time, address, lat, lon, etc.
0 Kudos
PaulMattern1
New Contributor II

Assumption: ADA polygons are active at the same time. ADA polygons are active for a certain time period. These points are already geocoded and displayed on the map. The polygons are displayed on the map.

First: I would identify the trips (origins or destinations) that fell within the time frame by "selection by attribute" using the time field.

Second: Create a new layer (shapefile) from that selection.

Third: Select by Location using the polygon layer as the source and the target layer as the pickups/dropoffs layer and spatial selection "completely with in the source layer".

That should group the pickup and drop offs based on the polygon and time active.

0 Kudos
JesseIsaacson1
New Contributor

The ADA Polygons are all active at different times, based on when their corresponding routes are active.  I COULD do this one route at a time and compare them all at the end, but I was hoping for something a little more automated.  Some of the trips I need to see all of the polygons they fall into, to see if moving a bus route would have an effect on their ADA service.  Is there any tool I can use to compare the trips to all of the polygons at the same time and return to me a list of the stops with a corresponding list of polygons they fall in?

0 Kudos