"Generate Near Table" outputs the wrong units

08-01-2019 12:54 PM
AdamBuchholz1
New Contributor

I'm trying to calculate the distance from a layer of tax parcels to the nearest 5 cities. I have a layer of cities to use as the "near features" and a layer of parcels. Both layers are using the same projection, NAD 1983 StatePlane California IV FIPS 0404 Feet. The output units should be feet, but the size of the map means that any value over 1 million feet is impossible. I am getting an output of 6 million feet as the minimum value, making me think the output units are not in feet, but I cannot find a way to tell what the tool is outputting.

I have done this with the same cities and 2 other counties' parcels without an issue.

Version: ArcGIS Pro 2.4

Method: Planar

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdamBuchholz1
New Contributor

Ah, an update and a bug!

I figured out that the reason I was getting massive numbers is that the software moved my county tax parcel projection from California to the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I have no idea how or why. It did this with another county's tax parcels as well, but only moved that county a few miles south. If I re-import the layer from the original shapefile, it stays in the middle of the Pacific. I don't see how to correct this.

A) Please support?

B) This is another silly bug that I've found in under a week. Others include: the inability to open large attribute tables without 5-10 minute wait times. The need to select all polygons from a layer's attribute table before rasterizing it. The fact that a tool will return an error the first 5 times I use it, then run flawlessly the second time. The fact that just opening a tool can take 3 minutes. The fact an operation as simple as dividing another column by 12 in the "calculate" tool can take 5 minutes. This is, to put it lightly, surprising from a program this expensive.

0 Kudos