Inventory Management

08-01-2019 08:33 AM
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

Need Advice,

I've set up an dashboard for our Emergency services director at the city i work at. He love's it, however, he wants to track how many barricades are deployed versus how many we have. I know its possible, but I'm getting stuck. I created a spreadsheet giving a OID, type of barricade, an integer 'deployed' [1], 'not deployed' [0] field, and empty LAT LONG attributes. Then I published the table as a hosted feature service.

So now I'm stuck, I've tried creating another feature from that table online, referencing the URL but it freezes up.

it is stuck.

Basically, I want fieldworkers to be able to set a barricade on collector from what we have in inventory, and remove it afterwards without actually deleting it from the hosted table. I'm stumped as to how to accomplish this.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WadeCherry2
New Contributor II

Where does this stand I am trying to do the same thing with our street Signs that are in Inventory

DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

So basically I haven't worked on this since posting, but I have had this idea. I have the exact number of barricades and types we own and wanted a way to display the total amounts and types versus what is currently deployed. What I've come to was, the field crews use quickcapture to deploy a barricade in the field. I configure a dashboard to show a gauge showing number of deployed barricade with the total number as a fixed statistic, repeat for various types, and use an arcade expression in a TCD webmap that only displays deployed barricades within a desired time frame (maybe 1hr-24hrs or longer. your preference) This works out because now you have a running record of deploys.

0 Kudos
WadeCherry2
New Contributor II

I’m trying to figure out a inventory of street signs I’m thinking using the crowd source reporter and creating a dashboard off of the survey 123, but can’t really figure out what to do.

Sent from my iPhone

DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

I personally don't favor crowd sourcing anymore, because it depends on the involvement of the community. As a reporting tool for issues with your street signs that would be a good idea, to supplement, the existing avenues the public uses to report problems like phones and emails. However, it's unlikely you'll get a lot of involvement. (people just don't care) There is hope though, if you work within the local government you could get public works involved. (i work in public works so it's easier for me) You could configure your reporting tool and dashboard and they can do their inspections along with their daily workload. Suvery123 is great but heads up, if it isn't quick, simple, and doesn't involve a lot of button pressing they're not going to use it unless they're told by management they have to. So my advice is configure your sign layer for the quickcapture app instead. the allure of them never leaving their truck will win you their cooperation.

0 Kudos
WadeCherry2
New Contributor II

I mentioned that with Quick capture, but our public works department wants

the sign, dimensions, and color. Im running a script weekly to put in the

MUTCD Code. Im might set up an separate excel sheet and use it along with

survey123 just for the inventory alone. I'm not 100% sure about the

process with survey123, I have never used it so that will all be new to me.

0 Kudos
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

So they want measurements of the sign? Well if they have a sign department all that stuff should be standardized, at the state level. they can't just make signs of different shapes. Survey123 might help you out in this respect since it's form based surveying. You'll have to plan this out yourself but as an example your first question in the survey is what kind of sign it is and you might select 'stop' sign, you can set rules that will set up the next set of questions and depending on if you use the web designer or the desktop version (Survey123 Connect) I believe you can have condition statements built into the form. Like if you select stop sign it auto populates the standard size and color. 

The less complicated version is you create lists for each attribute drive around with the standards to reference and fill it in yourself in collector. selecting sign type from types list, size from size list, color so on and so on...from my experience public works is tricky, if it's filled with older generations of workers they tend to stick with the old tried and true methods, younger teams tend to like the quickest and more efficient ways. You'll have to have a strategy for dealing with both.

0 Kudos
WadeCherry2
New Contributor II

I'm using a collector for my signs that are in the field now, they want to

use it so that they can select and see the date a sign was installed and

updated. We do have different signs that are stored in different

inventories (racks) that what i'm looking at s123 for if a sign goes out

take it out of the main inventory. But this is one of the fun projects that

take time.

0 Kudos
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

I'm doing something similar with our Hydrant Meters. Basically the guys were using pen and paper to track them and they did a terrible job, and the billing department was using a spreadsheet. I tried doing what you want to do. I made a layer with the exact inventoried amount of meters and gave each record the corresponding serial number and configured it to only allow geometry and attribute updates, no deletes. However, what do you do with the ones that aren't deployed? I tried a system using a data editor web app where they would switch an attribute 'deployed' to 'in inventory' and the billing ladies would manually move them to the public works facility on the maps and then to the location where and whenever deployed. It works fine until you realize more than half of the meters used are repurposed 2" residential meters and don't last longer than a year. (we're having abnormal amount of construction going on for the next few years) So the total amount fluctuates, could be ten one month next month could just be four. So managing the meters becomes labor intensive and complicated for the billing ladies. I honestly think the best solution is the first one I mentioned. If the total amount changes it's as easy as changing the fixed statistic in the dashboard gauge. plus you have dates for each record, what i think'll work best is if you give each sign a unique ID so you can query afterwards every record dealing with that sign in chronological order. You can configure a query or filter tool for the end user too, (show me this sign *enters signID* table filters to show all data related to that sign*)

0 Kudos