AnsweredAssumed Answered

Questions on preparing data used to create Parcel Fabric.

Question asked by colematt on Jul 25, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2019 by agarrett528

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.  If there is some documentation that already covers this, let me know.  Anyway, I have read up quite a bit on Parcel Fabrics as implemented under ArcMap but never got around to actually creating one.  Now that ArcGIS Pro has significantly expanded both the scope of how one can work with parcel fabrics along with the "ease" of creating one, I am looking at finally taking the plunge.  That being said, I do have a couple of questions with respecting to preparing our data prior to using it for building the Parcel Fabric.  My main parcel data source will be a polygon feature class provided by the county assessor that contains parcels and right-of-ways as polygons.  My current questions are:

1.)  What should we do with the right-of-way polygons?  Do we leave them in the source parcel polygon FC and let them get imported into the Fabric along with the parcels or should they be removed first and imported via a separate process?  Is best practice to use right-of-way polygons or it is better to use road centerlines instead (which I also have)?

2.)  What do we do about complex and unusual parcel types, such as parcels that reside wholly within the boundaries of another parcel or that are broken up by intersecting parcels? Below is an example of the sorts of parcel geometries that I am having to deal with (right-of-way polygons are shaded in grey):

Anyway, I am sure I will have more questions as I get more into the weeds on this project.  If there is a better place where I should be asking these sorts of questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

Outcomes