Reset SDE account password

07-25-2019 08:38 PM
yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Dear All,

I forgot the password for SDE account in Oracle. The password for this account needs to be updated so I need to know the old password.

How can i proceed to reset the password ? What are the considerations that I have to look into ? What are affected by this password changing ?

Thanks

ArcGIS Server 10.6

Oracle Version : Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerrickWong
Esri Contributor

Hi yoc kee,

If you can log in as Sys user, connect as SYSDBA, and enter the following command to unlock an account:

ALTER USER account IDENTIFIED BY password ACCOUNT UNLOCK; 

If you unlock an account but do not reset the password, then the password remains expired. The first time someone connects as that user, they must change the user's password.

You would probably want to create a new SDE connection file, specifying the new credentials, and then re-register your EGDB using this connection file.

0 Kudos
yockee
by

Problem is, i am not the DBA. *sad LOL*.
I just want to reset the password of the SDE account without knowing the old password and without any critical / complicated implication afterward.
What i can do the best is just informing the DBA to reset the password. So i want to make sure that the process is safe.

0 Kudos
DerrickWong
Esri Contributor

Hi yoc kee,

Once password is changed you will want to re register your EGDB with server.

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Server Manager—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You probably need to re-publish the services with the new connection string. To make life easier you can write a script that loops through a directory of map documents and update the workspace paths. 

Example:

developer-support/python/arcpy-python/find-and-replace-data-sources-in-mxd at master · Esri/develope... 

Once that is done you can script it to publish the services:

Script service publishing with ArcPy—ArcGIS Server Administration (Linux) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You can also try to run the ExternalizeConnectionStrings.bat command utility to update existing service connections

if it's upgraded from pre-10.4.

If this is a site created at 10.4 or on, they're already externalized.

Hope that helps.

yockee
by

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the help

Just one question. I don't publish map services using SDE account. The feature classes that are published are on differrent schema. Do I still need to republish them ?

many thanks. 

DerrickWong
Esri Contributor

Hi yoc kee‌,

You shouldn't need to if the password to that db account hasn't changed.

0 Kudos