Geometric Network Sources and Sinks

07-25-2019 02:11 PM
SeanPhayakapong1
New Contributor II

Hi GeoNet community, I am trying to establish flow directions for our geometric network on a sewer system and a water/recycle system. I put my sources and sinks, but I am puzzled for what to categorize pump/lift stations as they are both. This results to all pipelines being indeterminate flow. Any direction would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartinPflanz
Esri Contributor

Sean, you may want to check out the article post reply from Howard here for the gravity lines: https://community.esri.com/thread/237357-looking-for-a-help-to-create-gravity-main-layer-data-using-... A wet well/lift station would be the sink, though once flow goes through the pump, as you mentioned, it becomes part of a pressure system.  Ultimately the forcemain would be pumping to another manhole or the head of a treatment plant, thus flow direction, under normal operation, would be 1-way.  If you do not have many forcemains, you may consider manual flow direction assignment for those lines.   

0 Kudos
SeanPhayakapong1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response Martin. Our system has quite a few forcemains (about 170 line segments). I am still having everything indeterminate flow. I thought I cannot have multiple sources/sinks in the same linear segment?

0 Kudos
Charles_Darwin
New Contributor

Hello,

I hope it's not too late to ask this, but I had a GIS manager tell me that waste water (sewer systems) don't use geometric networks. He told me they don't use geometric networks because geometric networks are used to change direction of flow of electricity for maintenance. He said something along the lines of that. But, does waste water systems use geometric networks?

0 Kudos
HowardCrothers
Esri Contributor

@Charles_Darwin  you were given some bad info!  Thousands of wastewater utilities have used the geometric network to represent their sewer systems, now they are implementing the utility network.

0 Kudos