Trying to create a tile package from multiple feature services

07-24-2019 05:58 AM
ArianaToth
New Contributor III

I need to create a custom basemap for use in AGO. It needs to be highly stylized, and I've gotten pretty good with ArcGIS Pro so I created my map there. 

Data: This is a basemap that I will eventually need to use again, for multiple clients (i.e. multiple municipalities) over a significant span of time. To address that issue, I pulled all of my data layers from open source feature services. They're mostly coming from the State of Michigan, with a couple from SEMCOG (regional entity), and a couple of counties. This way my data layers will stay up to date for a large geographic region. I might have to recreate a tile package on occasion, but the Pro project will not need to be updated.

Geoprocessing result 1: I tried running the "Create Map Tile Package" geoprocessing tool in Pro. The tool technically succeeded, but with multiple warnings of "Layer's spatial reference differs from the runtime content's target spatial reference." The resulting tile package can be added to a map, but is extremely grainy and not all layers show up.

Upon investigation, the feature services that I'm referencing use a combination of FOUR different reference systems. I did some research to find a solution and came across this information that suggests feature services can be reprojected. However, I'm not a programmer, so I don't totally follow how this would work. And is it only an option for Esri-hosted services from the Living Atlas, or does it apply to all services shared via and enterprise server environment? 

Geoprocessing result 2: I decided that there could possibly be some complicating factors in my data - I had a visibility range set on some layers and there were additional layers in my table of contents that were turned off. So I removed all extra data layers and removed my visibility restrictions. I ran the Create Map Tile Package tool again and it ran for just over 10 hours before completing with the same warnings. This time the resulting output does not display any visible features. The only difference in the tool settings is that I increased the Compression Quality from 75 to 100.

Question 1: Is it really even possible to change the spatial reference of a web feature service hosted by another entity?

Question 2: Is the spatial reference really my problem when it comes to display quality, or am I missing something else?

--Ariana
0 Replies