Issue with merging polygons and the shapes completely changing?

07-24-2019 07:35 AM
LindaSibert
New Contributor II

I'm working with a polygon layer see image merge1. I selected all the circle polygons show then using the merge tool on the edit menu. The polygons completely loose their original shape see image merge2. I've never seen this happen before. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this from happening. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Linda,

I have a few questions:

1. What coordinate system is the data in?
  2. What coordinate system is the Map in?
  3. I'm assuming those circles are made of curves and not densified with lots of vertices, but can you please show us the vertices of one of the problem circles? (Edit tab > Modify > Reshape group > Vertices > select one of the problem circle features and take a screenshot).

Please let me know.

Thanks!

-Scott

0 Kudos
LindaSibert
New Contributor II

1 Data is in GCS North American 1983

2. Map is also in GCS North Amercian 1983

3. The circles were made using the Crete Features Circlethere is only one vertex for the circle

After doing the merge in this area this happens...the blue hatched areas are what was created after the merge. the green circles are a copy of the original data.

the blue hatched area is what was created after this merge, the green circles are a copy of the original data. 

Note I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.3

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Linda,

I created similar data in GCS North American 1983 in a Map that is also in GCS North American 1983. I then used the Merge tool (Edit tab), but I'm not reproducing the issue in 2.3 or 2.4. It seems that this could happen if the data was being projected on the fly based on my testing. Can you please send a screenshot of the following:

Map properties > Coordinate Systems section > Expand layers > Expand the current coordinate system to show all layers. I'm assuming the layer name will show up there "WCA_WTF"

Please let me know, thank you!

-Scott

0 Kudos
LindaSibert
New Contributor II

Yes the layer is WCA_WTF

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Linda,

From the screenshot, I can tell your map is not in GCS North American 1983. It's in WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere. Please try setting the Map's coordinate system to match the data you are editing - GCS North American 1983.

Specify a coordinate system—Properties of maps | ArcGIS Desktop