Sidecar media question

Jump to solution
07-17-2019 07:13 AM
ZanePrūse
New Contributor II

Hello!

I need to add video to a sidecar slide (mp4 file uploaded from computer) and it is important to see the whole video (dimension wise)- but the sides are being cropped.

I noticed the same for images- I can choose the focal point- but isn't there an option to see the whole image (as it is possible if I add it as an image block where there are different image sizes)?

Example

The chosen video has subtitles and if it is uploaded as mp4, the subtitles are not displayed for sidecar block.

Are there any limitations regarding the media size/dimensions or suggestions what to use not to loose the content?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Zane -- Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback on the new ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Currently the image or video added to a sidecar media panel must fill the space, but we are working on additional layout options for media. This feature will be added in an upcoming release.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Zane -- Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback on the new ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Currently the image or video added to a sidecar media panel must fill the space, but we are working on additional layout options for media. This feature will be added in an upcoming release.

Owen Evans
ZanePrūse
New Contributor II

Thank you for the answer, Owen!

Can you please tell, when is the upcoming release planned?

0 Kudos
PaulTsui
New Contributor

Hi Owens,

I also have same problem of Zane and hope the feature will come soon.

However, when I add a video MP4 file (around 13 MB) to the Sidecars Media Panel.  It takes long time (about 1 min) to have the video start to display and run in the panel in Edit Mode.  Then when I tried to switch to Preview mode, it takes (about 15s) to start the preview after I have added the video and it also takes long time (about 1 min) to have the video start to display in the Preview mode.

Can you help resolve the problem?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Video playback is optimized when viewing the story, but may be slower when building or previewing the story. For the best video playback experience, view the published story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The option to fit a video in an immersive media panel is now available as of the latest ArcGIS StoryMaps update. See this article for more information.

Owen Evans