Tracking locations of vehicles from radio GPS data

Jump to solution
07-10-2019 04:48 PM
Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

The locations of our vehicles are continuously being stored in a database using the GPS coordinates from the vehicle radios. Our office would like to access the stored data, convert them into point features and track their locations in a dashboard. 

Has there been some examples/documentations on how this was done before? I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Dionisio

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dionisio,

> The locations of our vehicles are continuously being stored in a database using the GPS coordinates from the vehicle radios. Our office would like to access the stored data, convert them into point features and track their locations in a dashboard. 

Please take a look at query layers - this method enables you to get data from a database and display it in ArcGIS Desktop. Which you could then publish as a web service, then display in Operations Dashboard.

Using query layers in Operations Dashboard

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dionisio,

> The locations of our vehicles are continuously being stored in a database using the GPS coordinates from the vehicle radios. Our office would like to access the stored data, convert them into point features and track their locations in a dashboard. 

Please take a look at query layers - this method enables you to get data from a database and display it in ArcGIS Desktop. Which you could then publish as a web service, then display in Operations Dashboard.

Using query layers in Operations Dashboard

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dionisio,

In the organisation I work for, I have done the exact same thing as Derek has mentioned. We receive GPS coordinates, speed, etc from the digital radios installed in vehicles. This data is stored in Oracle Spatial RDBMS. I created a query layer in ArcGIS Desktop and published as a map services. The service is added to a map with the refresh interval set to 1 minute and we can see the cars move around the map. Our symbol of the cars is based on an attribute which can determined if they are moved or stationary (eg. red=moving, green=stopped)

Good luck for your data

Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Anthony.

0 Kudos
Dionisiobattad
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Derek.

0 Kudos