What happened to constraints?

07-10-2019 12:47 PM
BenOgle
New Contributor II

What happened to constraints?  It seems like on the latest version of the iPhone app (3.5.164) or the latest version of Survey123 Connect (3.5.157) constraints are no longer enforced and messages are no longer displayed.  It's so bad that the Constraint XLSForm template (which was updated May 28, 2019) no longer works.

Any update as to when this will be working again?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Benjamin,

Constraints are working in the latest 3.5 release. The way they are validated and displayed as an error message to the user has now been improved. Can you describe in more detail the issue you are encountering, the type of questions, the constraint you are using etc.

If you can share your xlsx file we can take a closer look.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
BenOgle
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

Just as a test, I published the Constraints XLSForm template.  I made not changes.  

In the 3.5 version of the app, I am able to put in values that should trigger a message, but none appear.

We've noticed the same results with other published forms that use constraints.  It doesn't appear to be an issue specific to one device either as we're seeing this with other ios devices.

Thanks, Ben

0 Kudos
BenOgle
New Contributor II

Is anyone else having issues with this?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to submit?  The form will not check all constraints until sending.  It does work different than 3.3.

What you may want is a input mask instead.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Benjamin,

As Doug pointed out and I mentioned above, constraints now validate differently in 3.5, compared to 3.3. This is due to many reasons that have been explained in other posts.

Using an input mask may resolve the issues you are having, but either way when you select submit survey, you should still see the constraint error messages of the values are not valid?

Can you share your entire xlsx form so we can take a closer look?

Thanks,

Phil.

0 Kudos
leo_SwissGIS
New Contributor III

Hi,

Old thread, but someone recently created an Idea for this issue:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17630 

Give it a vote up!

Léo

0 Kudos