Why can't I remove duplicate 3D labels

07-09-2019 08:28 AM
BobBoutiette
New Contributor III

I working in a scene in ArcPro and have a single 3D trail made of numerous points.  I'm labeling the points with an elevation attribute and would like to remove duplicate elevations within a certain distance.  This option is grayed out however.  Is it possible to remove the duplicate labels?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there,

There are currently no default Remove Duplicate Label options in ArcGIS Pro when working with point layers. However, here is a temporary solution that may work for you:

1. Create a polygon buffer around the point layer with a small distance value, like 1 inch.

2. Configure labeling of this new buffer layer as you would for the points layer. Ensure the Maplex label engine is enabled ("More" dropdown in the Labeling tab > Use Maplex Label Engine). The option to remove duplicate labels should be available now for the buffer layer.

3. Set the fill and outline color of the buffer layer to "no color."

Hope this works for you!

- Rachel

0 Kudos
BobBoutiette
New Contributor III

Hi Rachel,

I made a buffer of the points under my 3D layers map frame, unfortunately the do not remove duplicates is still grayed out.  Maplex is on.

Remove duplicate labels

0 Kudos
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Bob,

I just repeated this workflow and noticed the same issue on my end. I looked further into it, and unfortunately some labeling customization options are not yet implemented for 3D scenes in ArcGIS Pro. This is why many of the "Position" customization options, including "Remove Duplicate Labels" are disabled in 3D scenes.

This issue has been documented and the development team is aware of it, but it is unknown when a solution will be implemented.

This GeoNet thread may be of interest to you.

In the meantime, it may help to reach out to Support Services with this issue to have your Customer ID attached to it in order to bring more awareness to the problem and give higher priority for it to be fixed in a future iteration of ArcGIS Pro. 

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Best,

Rachel