Can't Identify on a spatial view

07-08-2019 07:57 AM
MichaelGinzburg
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I created a spatial view by joining a layer and a view.

For some reason I cannot Identify features and select them on the map.

However:

I can see the features on the map (e.g. geometry is joined)

I can open attribute table and see the whole data (e.g. it's business data is  joined)

I can correctly zoom to a feature from the attribute table (e.g. geometry is correctly connected to the business data)

I even can get the Identify tool from the attribute table.

But I cannot get it from the map.

What is the problem?

ArcGIS 9.3 SDE on Oracle.

ArcGIS 9.3 Desktop

I know, that there tools are history, but some of my clients insist on continuing to use them....

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Make sure you added an OBJECTID field yo the view definition.

Jesús de Diego

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
MichaelGinzburg

Hello, I have an update. I put my attention that part of spatial views are OK and part not.

Then I discovered that working views are without spatial index.

So I removed spatial index from the layer and got back Identify and Select on the spatial view.

I don't know what is the source of this behaviour. If I recreate the spatial index, the failure returns...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is your Extproc configured correctly?

If you run the following SQL in the Oracle DB as the SDE user, what are the results?

select sde.ST_AsText(SDE.ST_Geometry('POINT (10 10)', 0)) from dual;

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg

Hello,

Indeed, there was a problem with EXTPROC, but now it's fixed. The check of select sde.ST_AsText(SDE.ST_Geometry('POINT (10 10)', 0)) from dual is OK.

However, I still can't identify a spatially indexed view...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Is the view fairly complex or go across 2 databases?

What is the spatial information on the view?

What is you create a simple view "select * from ......" does that work for the identify?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg

Hello George,

Regarding fixing EXTRPOC: after I fixed the EXTRPOC, the SOE which updates the layers stopped work.

Disabling EXTPROC in tnsnames/listenet/extproc of Oracle has brought SOE functionality back.

To my knowledge of the product, it should be totally opposite: the SOE should not work until the EXTRPOC is fixed...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure, I did notice in the original post that you are using a very old version of the Enterprise Geodatabase and Desktop (9.3). I would say to contact technical support and work with them, but that version has not been supported for many years.

If you can upgrade the desktop and enterprise geodatabase to a supported version, you should be able to reach out to support.

I would also agree that the EXTPROC should not have any impact on the SOE, but I am not 100% on that.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg

Hello George.

I tried to create a simply view, only OBJECTID and Shape fields - still no results.

The Geodatabase is ST_Geometry.

0 Kudos