AnsweredAssumed Answered

PRO 2.3.1 Annotation Upgrade Dataset & Python

Question asked by MBDriscoll on Jun 25, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2019 by mvolz47

I am going to start to upgrade the annotations in our databases and have some troubles, questions and concerns.

1.  I read this in the documentation. "Feature classes in the same feature dataset as the ArcGIS Pro annotation are also read-only in ArcMap."  So if I upgrade the annotation in our parcel fabric dataset, all points, lines, and polygons feature classes within that dataset will be uneditable in ArcMap?

2.  Currently in Pro we cannot Publish Services to ArcGIS Server.  So if we upgrade our Annotation, this annotation cannot be published?  Can this be done in Python instead then?  Did I read correctly that Publishing Services to Server in Pro will be possible in 2.4 as long as we are on Server 10.6.1?

3.  Once upgrade is there anyway to export or make a copy of the annotation to be viewed in ArcMap?  Just in case we edited a bunch of the upgraded annotation and later find that Pro is not going to work for us yet.  If not is this something in the works for later releases?

4.  I tried running this script in both the Old Catalog and within Pro and got these errors.  I was testing it on a File Geodatabase before I use it on the sde database.  None of my feature classes are empty.

Script:

import arcpy

arcpy.env.workspace = "C:/temp/JFKSCopy/JFKS_Copy.gdb"

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

featClass = arcpy.ListFeatureClasses("","Annotation")

for row in featClass:
    output = row + "_Pro"
    copy = arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(row, output)
    for rows in copy:
        arcpy.UpgradeDataset_management(rows)

Catalog error:

Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 5, in <module>   File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.5\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 5645, in UpgradeDataset     raise e ExecuteError: ERROR 001267: Dataset type does not support upgrade.

Pro error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 5, in <module>
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 6117, in UpgradeDataset
raise e
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 6114, in UpgradeDataset
retval = convertArcObjectToPythonObject(gp.UpgradeDataset_management(*gp_fixargs((in_dataset,), True)))
File "c:\program files\arcgis\pro\Resources\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 498, in <lambda>
return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args, True))
arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 002577: Upgrading annotation requires at least one annotation class and symbol.
Failed to execute (UpgradeDataset).

Outcomes