Turn off pop-ups for features not shown on web map

06-24-2019 09:07 AM
MinnesotaDesign_Center
New Contributor II

Is there a way to disable pop-ups for features that aren't visible on a web map? I have a master assets layer that I'd like to be able to reference on a series of maps tailored to show different categories. Using unique symbols, I'm able to show only relevant categories while grouping the other, unneeded features into the "Other" label. This works fine as far as the symbols go, but I'm left with phantom pop-ups appearing even though their corresponding features aren't visible. I know I can just make copies of the master layer and delete unneeded features from the copies if necessary, but it seems like there should be a better way.

10 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Disable Pop Ups for those features.

0 Kudos
MinnesotaDesign_Center
New Contributor II

As far as I can tell pop-up settings can only be applied to an entire layer, though, which doesn't help when I want to show pop-ups for only those features that are visible within a given layer.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You should not get pop ups for features that are not visible.  So you have them with no symbols and stacked on top of each other

0 Kudos
MinnesotaDesign_Center
New Contributor II

The features that shouldn't be shown are grouped in the default unique symbols "Other" category, which is unchecked, so they aren't visible. But those "other" features' pop-ups still display if you click the map where that hidden polygon would draw. I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but that's what I've been trying to fix. I would expect pop-ups to only show for visible features by default, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Turn them off using a definition query instead.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you able to share your web map? I'd like to take a look at how the map is configured as it shouldn't be displaying the features if they are hidden from the display.

I would suggest filtering out the features using a filter that includes the features that are falling into the other category.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/apply-filters.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_DD3E362F8B4549CF...

Thanks,

Kelly

MinnesotaDesign_Center
New Contributor II

Thanks Kelly, I should have thought of the filter option. Here's a link to one of the maps we've been experiencing this issue with:

https://arcg.is/19XLvD 

The pop-ups are tied to the icons overlaying the colored buildings, but if you click around the grayed-out buildings, you'll occasionally see pop-ups for points grouped in Other.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing. That seems like a bug to me. try getting in touch with support or logging it through the report bug function: https://support.esri.com/en/report-bug

I'll share this with our engineering team, but logging a bug through support creates an item that you can track for status updates.

As a workaround, i'd suggest filtering out the Other categories for the time being.

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Did you try the definition query

0 Kudos