mb1550

My first geoprocessing script - Advice requested :)

Discussion created by mb1550 on Mar 4, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 by Stringtheory
Hello folks, I was hoping one or some of you veterans out there might be able to give me some advice.

So far, I have successfully created a model in the model builder to complete all the operations I want.  Basically, I have 2 polygon layers that I am performing a clip operation on.  The resulting shapefile adds a "Acreage" field and the calculate field tool is used to populate these fields with the acreage of the clipped polygons.  Here is where I am unsure how to proceed:

Before I clip, I am using the select by attribute operation to specify only one polygon from the clipping layer to extract all polygons from the input layer.  In my select by attribute operation I am using an expression that selects the polygon by a unique identifier number (Agreement Number for you oil & gas folks out there) from a field in the attribute table. 

Currently, I have to modify the expression in my select by attribute tool inside the model builder each time before I run it to select the desired polygon to clip by.  I was wondering if there is a way I could use/export this as a script that prompts the user for the unique identifier number to select the desired polygon to clip by and then performing the rest of the operations in my model.

Thanks for reading and I hope that made enough sense.  Happy weekend to everyone.

Outcomes