Delete existing Centerlines which are associated to routes (Roads and Highways Extension)

06-13-2019 11:46 PM
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hello Departments of Transportation‌ Team

I have a question about deleting centerlines which are associated to routes. I know there is the possibility to work with date, so that the centerline is no longer displayed. In that case, however, the geometry will be removed.

Is there a suitable workflow for this?

Is it sufficient to remove the Centerline ID from the Centerline table and then delete the geometry? Shown in the screenshot. 

Is there anything to consider?
I would be very happy about a solution.
Many thanks in advanced.
Peter@
0 Kudos
9 Replies
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Peter,

There is a geoprocessing tool within the Roads and Highways toolbox to handle this exact case you're mentioning above.  The delete routes tool will make sure that all records related to the route/centerline combination you want to delete are removed correctly (http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/location-referencing-roads-toolbox/delete-routes.ht...) from the geodatabase.  I would encourage you to use this tool to complete your workflow.  Just select the route (or routes) that are associated with the centerline you want to remove from the system and make sure to check the delete associated centerlines option in the tool.

Good luck.

Nathan

Esri Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Nathan,

many thanks for your response.

I know the tool delete routes. In this case I do not want to delete the route but only one centerline. The route consists of several centerlines.

There is also the delete Centerline Tool but you can use the tool if you have no affiliation to a route.

So thats the point that i would use the described workflow above. Is this not suitable?

Many thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter,

Perhaps we need to revisit what the purpose is for deleting one of the centerlines that compose the route?

One thought is you could use the R&H activity Retire Route to retire the portion of the route that covers the centerline.  Another option would be to reload the route in question without the portion that covers the undesired centerline geometry.  Temporality would need to be considered when reloading.  

However, it's hard to say which is the better approach without knowing more about what you are trying to achieve.  

Thanks in advance,

Clive

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Clive

the Centerline was created by a mistake and assigened to a route. So the geometry must be deleted to clean up the database.  Therefore Retire Route is unfortunatley no option.

If I understand correctly, I have to delete the whole route (With Delete Routes) and reload only those centerlines (Create a Backup from the Existing) that are desired?
Is there not a better workflow for this? For customers, this is a bit inconvenient. My described workflow is not working?

Many thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Hi Peter,

Seems like Reload route is still a good option, although Retire Route (portion) backdated to when you first introduced the 'bad' centerline is an alternative.  Either way, I would recommend you testing each option out in a test ALRS geodatabase environment.  

Realign Route using a correct centerline is yet another option (setting the date to when the 'bad' centerline was introduced.  

Clive

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Nathan and Clive

thank you very much for your help and that detailed information. I will try the option to reload route.

Of course i will test that in my test ALRS geodatabase enviroment. 

Thank you very much!

Peter

0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Peter,

How many timeslices do you have on the route in question?  If you had only one timeslice representation of the route before inserting the bad geometry, I would recommend exporting that original route timeslice to a separate feature class.  Change the ending To Date to <null> and then use that feature class for reloading the route.  

Also note that after reloading routes, the events will regenerate using existing event field measures.  No event behaviors get applied.  That also means you will probably need to inspect (and edit) events on the route that got timesliced when the bad geometry was introduced.  (for reference, here is the link to "Loading additional and updated routes")

Keep us posted on your progress!

-Clive

0 Kudos
PeterStiegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Clive,

sorry for the late update.

I have only one timeslices. I used the following workflow.

I deleted the route with the bad geometry with the Tool Delete Routes.

However, I have not deleted the associated centerlines and the associated calibration points.

Then I opened the attribute table of the centerlines and selected and deleted the bad centerline and the calibration points from the bad centerline.

Then I re-created the route with Create Route. The calibration points were then used to properly calibrate the route.

I hope this workflow is fine.

Thank you

Peter

0 Kudos
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Peter,

In order to remove a centerline, you need to remove any route associated with it.  In the Roads and Highways information model, the centerlines provide the geometry for routes.  If you just deleted the centerline, you could have routes with incorrect geometry (due to missing centerlines) and even have calibration points no longer located on the route (which would result in no or incorrect calibration).  Because the centerlines are the building blocks for the routes, in order to remove a centerline, you must also remove any dependent routes that use that centerline for their geometry.

As mentioned in previous posts, there are a few different ways to remove the centerline.  I would encourage you to choose the method that best aligns with your business processes to complete the removal of the erroneous centerline.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos