Hi, i have a points file of employees and i want to find the a "central" location between them by the road. I want to find the shortess displacement for everybody to open a new office. I don't have any potential location yet. Any ideas?

06-13-2019 12:59 PM
BenoitPoulin
New Contributor

Hi, i have a points file of employees and i want to find the a "central" location between them by the road.  I want to find the shortess displacement for everybody to open a new office.  I don't have any potential location yet.  Any ideas?

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you have the Network Analyst extension?

Do you need to 'weight' physical distance to account for travel time? (some roads are H* in the morning)

Is everyone driving? or is public transportation an issue?

A quick estimate would to produce a convex hull around the point address locations and find the 'centroid' of the Hull.

This would be a Euclidean estimate and not a road-based one, but it might get you ballpark-ish

Minimum Bounding Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Another quick estimate can be obtained using the Central Feature tool with Manhattan Distance selected. Once you have a general central location, you can look for appropriate new office facilities. I hope this helps!

0 Kudos