How to make white space not visible or transparent around imagery

03-04-2011 03:40 AM
TiniaGraham
New Contributor
I am working with two .sid files that overlap each other and at the overlap, is where I see the white space.  If I could just make it transparent (just the white space and not the rest of the image) then I could see my imagery without "white void".  I wanted to delete the white in Photoshop but .sids are not supported.  Any one know how to make the white not visible?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Go to the sid's Layer Properties - Symbology  and check Display Background Value and in the drop down select  No Color.  I think it likely that the 0,0,0 setting will work but if not repeat with 255,255,255.  You can also try setting No Data to No Color.

You may not get a perfectly clean result even after doing this because the sid compression can introduce some data into formerly no data areas, but most of them should be gone.  If these are still unacceptable you will have to clip to another image format like a tif which might make for some large files.
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
In the Layer Properties > Symbology under the stretched renderer you can specify a background value be displayed as No Color.  You could also use the raster clip tool to remove the unwanted areas as well.
0 Kudos