Tabulate Area results greater than area of input zones

06-10-2019 01:16 PM
MatthewNoteboom
New Contributor II

I have a polygon feature class of zones within a watershed, which I'm using to define zones to tabulate areas of land uses from a land use raster. But...the sum of the areas in the resulting table is very close to double the area of the feature class. Any suggestions?

In the meantime I'll try working around it by either changing the polygons to raster, or the raster to polygons, but I'd like to know what on earth is happening.

Edit: converting the zone polygon class to a raster seems to return sensible results...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarmisthaChatterjee
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew, can you please share the polygon feature class data with us? You can email me at schatterjee@esri.com

Also, what version of the software are you using?

thanks,

Sarmistha

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Matthew,

I would guess the issue is resampling resolution, the default is probably not getting you the detail you need. I agree that converting your zone polygons to raster first so you can control and verify the results is a good path. I often will set the environment cell size and snap to the value raster for the poly to raster conversion of the zones (or for the Zonal Statistics run if you stick with polygon zone inputs) to make sure I get consistent results and no cells get 'skipped'.

(Hi Sarmistha!)

0 Kudos