How do I find out what patches are installed on ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.x?

06-10-2019 03:38 AM
Pointing_Polly
New Contributor

I want to find out what patches are installed for ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1.  There doesn't seem to be a "Check for updates" application on the Start menu like there is for Server. I've searched the internet, My ESRI and the Support downloads site but can't find any mention of a patch finder for 10.6.x.  So how do I find out which patches are installed for Desktop?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately for Desktop there is no "easy button" and you still need to go out to the Support page to find and download relevant patches. To assist with that there's at least a tool to show what's been installed to a machine so you can determine what missing patches you may need.

You want a tool that is called PatchFinder.exe which can be found at:

http://downloads.esri.com/Support/downloads/other_/PatchFinder.exe

Since that is the direct download page you can also reference it as part of the Enterprise Deployment tools provided here:

https://esri.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-2463-enterprise-deployment-resources

Pointing_Polly
New Contributor

Oh I see - there's a link to it at the bottom of the page for each patch, but it doesn't have it's own entry on the downloads page.  It would be really helpful if it had it's own entry on the support/downloads site and/or My ESRI - would have saved me a lot of time.

ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

PRO simplifies things at least in terms of upgrades (2.0 -> 2.1, 2.1 -> 2.2, etc.) because it will prompt users in the same way you'd get java or adobe prompts regarding updates available. I can't say I have specifically looked at patching sequences for Pro yet because we currently have 5-10% of our GIS usage occurring in PRO, all by power users, so our real enterprise focus is still around desktop. I'm hopeful though that like Server there is a more streamlined workflow for identifying/installing patches to PRO and guess we will find out once we make that cutover.

0 Kudos