Newly created points disappear on saving

06-07-2019 08:47 AM
GinaKing
New Contributor

We are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 on multiple machines, with data residing on a server and no more than one person editing at a time, and we have a persistent issue with creating new features. When editing our photopoint locations (a feature class in a geodatabase), we add points and input the associated data, then when we save and stop editing the new points disappear from both the display and data table. When we remove and add the photopoints feature class back in to the same mxd in a session, the problem persists. But if we close out of ArcGIS and restart the program, we will find that the edits have in fact been made.

This problem was occurring on 2 other machines but not on mine for a while, and now occurs on all 3. Meanwhile, we can reliably append data from ArcGIS online to our local feature classes on their machines, but it's hit and miss on mine (the most current computer of the lot), although we are all running the same version of ArcGIS Desktop. Which may be a completely unrelated issue, but I throw it in just in case it's relevant....

Has anyone encountered this issue and know of a solution?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gina, 

When you state that it's on the server, is ArcMap connecting to it through a network folder? Or through ArcGIS server? Does the same issue happen if the data is stored locally on the machine? 

-Luba

0 Kudos
GinaKing
New Contributor

Sorry about the delay in replying: the problem can be sporadic and now I'm having difficulty replicating it to test if it occurs if I try copying the gdb onto a machine. We connect through a network folder, not ArcGIS server.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gina,

From my experience I have normally seen inconsistent behavior be caused by network issues since the data is coming from a network folder. However, before we determine that I would recommend testing it out locally for a period of time. This will help us narrow down if it's data or network related. If it only happens in the network folder this can be caused by a number of issues (network latency, permissions, multiple users with the data open/editing, etc.). If it does come to this, I would recommend getting in touch with IT, they usually have a better idea of what the environment/network set up is.

Here's some ideas I have to narrow down the issue: 

1. Copy locally
  2. On the network drive move to different location.
    1. For example if the file gdb. is located far into the folders: \\Users\LubaData\GISData\Testing\Esri. Try moving it to 'Users' folder, does the issue still happen?
  3. Make sure there is no spaces or special characters in the folder locations

Let me know when you start testing it out, I'd be happy to take a look at the data also  

Luba

GinaKing
New Contributor

OK, we'll try that out and post back. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Please verify that there is no definition query on the layer.

0 Kudos
GinaKing
New Contributor

No, we did have that problem in the past and figured out that we can't have a definition query mucking up the process. But good thought!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gina,

Is your layer a multipoint layer? I have just had the same problem and noticed the points I was creating were showing as a vertex/end point when I digitised them, then disappearing when I saved edits. If I double-click when I create the point (or hit F2) to complete the feature the point is captured and stays when I save and end the edit session.