Portal search specific items best practice

06-05-2019 11:02 PM
Robertvan_Gilst
New Contributor III

When reading the API reference for searching specific items there is a notice on all search pages:

Care should be taken when using ArcGIS REST API search operations (search, user search, group search, group content search) to find items, groups, and users programmatically. The Portal uses a powerful search engine to index information and to allow full text searching on it. This search engine uses many different inputs to find the appropriate results and rank them. This often makes search 'fuzzy', making it ideal for human interaction, but not necessarily ideal for looking for specific records programmatically. Developers should avoid using search to find specific items (e.g. by title) as the results of these types of queries might change as the search engine evolves.

The bold text says that I should avoid using search, as a developer, to find specific items.

If I not should use search, which I do at the moment, what should I use instead?

Tags (2)
1 Reply
pmi
by
New Contributor II

How should I find a feature layer (sharing lever: organization) with certain tags?

"Developers should avoid using search to find specific items (e.g. by title) as the results of these types of queries might change as the search engine evolves." 
It would be great to have an advice on how to search instead!