Checking out a license via batch file without Admin rights

06-04-2019 12:23 PM
Mary_LouFlanagan
New Contributor

We currently have batch files to change the license level:

set ESRI_SOFTWARE_CLASS=Viewer
set path=%path%;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\bin
ArcMap.exe

But what I need to is to check in and out a license without administrator rights, can I do that?  I see in this post here, that other options I can do but nothing about checking in/out a license at all.  I have not found much else to point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

You can change the license server using ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000002010 

0 Kudos
Mary_LouFlanagan
New Contributor

Mody Buchbinder‌ That's not what I asked, I already have that example in one of the posts I linked to.  

What I would like to know is how to check in/out a license via batch file without admin rights.  I see example of doing other things with the license manager to circumvent the need for admin rights but no mention of the check in/out.

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

When you start ArcMap it check out a license.

Can you explain exactly what you need?

0 Kudos
Mary_LouFlanagan
New Contributor

My users that do support for emergencies and disasters need to check out a license from the license server to go offline and take it out in the field.  Without administrator rights they are out of luck during an emergency that happens when IT is not available. 

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Mary Lou,

This is a limitation of the concurrent use licensing option.  The borrow feature is trigger through the function of the ArcGIS Administrator which requires elevated access as you're aware of.  You may have to consider other licensing option for the users who need to take licenses offline such as single use.  The other option is to borrow license beforehand.  You can extend the max number of days for users to borrow licenses in the License Server Administrator.

0 Kudos
Mary_LouFlanagan
New Contributor

Yes I am aware of all this, I am not new to GIS or ESRI.  An emergency is rare but they happen, and with their tight budget and limited funds and one person that's still in training with GIS, they do not have the ability to purchase a single use at this time.  Also, I am sure you are aware also that in the event of an emergency, there is never any warning and the chances of happening during work hours is slim, IT will not be available.  How can they plan ahead for something they don't know about?

I have seen many examples, as I have linked back to in the post, about changing all kinds of servers or license levels and other things within the Administrator via batch file and no admin rights.  If checking out a license is in the same ArcGIS Administrator, why can't I do that the same method?

0 Kudos