Regarding offline capability with Android Runtime

05-29-2019 06:48 AM
DevendraKhatri
New Contributor III

I have an app that supports offline capability. what I am doing is, generate the geo-database and store in my local device. Edit features offline and sync when online. I am creating features from ArcGIS developer and using content from ArcGIS online. Just want to know if I need to opt for any subscription to use developer account or ArcGIS online. Also, want this discussion to go on for any Android run time related queries.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

For editing the local geodatabase (i.e. offline editing) you will need the Basic level Runtime license or above (the ability to edit offline and sync back is one of the primary differences between Basic and Lite level Runtime licensing).

You can license at Basic level by:

• Logging in to ArcGIS Online (or on-premise portal) as a named user of type Editor, Field Worker, Creator, or GIS Professional (or if using an older on-premise portal, a Level 2 named user). See here for more info on the user type, and here for how to license.
  • Buying a Runtime Basic License Pack from your local distributor. Using the license pack means your application user does not have to have an ArcGIS Online subscription. See here for how to use a key from a license pack.

Note that you can use a Developer subscription but you will only be able to edit your own data (developer accounts cannot access private data that is shared from other accounts).

DevendraKhatri
New Contributor III

Thanks, I came across two types of licences -  license key and Named User Login. For an app that uses the run time SDK with no user credentials consent, I believe licence key would be the ideal option. I want to understand if run time SDK would have the licence per user, or would it be the licence that can be shared across many run time apps. Also, for the web development, I read ArcGIS APIs are free to use, do we have any limit on it. 

As I read here https://developers.arcgis.com/pricing/licensing/ Basic subscription has no geo-database edit option, so I must go with Standard !! and will it cover my APIs calling from web as well !

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

License Key vs Named User

You are correct. If you don't want your app's user to need an ArcGIS Online or on-premise named user account, then you will need a Runtime License. A single license key is valid for a single user on a single device. License keys are sold in packs.

Basic vs Standard

It depends on what your workflow is.

• Basic: If you are using one of the in-built workflows for editing, taking the data offline and synchronizing using ArcGIS feature services with either the OfflineMapTask or the GenerateGeodatabaseTask (which make use of mobile geodatabases), then the Basic License will suffice. It does include editing capabilities. If this is what you were referring to in your original question, Basic is the right license for you.
  • Standard: If you are building your own editing workflow that relies on something called a "File Geodatabase", perhaps generated by ArcGIS Desktop, then you will need to do a fair bit of work as we don't currently provide workflows for this. And at that point, to access the File Geodatabase, you would need Standard.

Note also that if you are just editing data stored in a completely public ArcGIS feature service (i.e. anyone can edit the data with no authentication required), you only need Lite, but that is such a rare use case, it's seldom mentioned.

JS API from the Web

The Lite/Basic/Standard/Advanced Licenses are Runtime specific. For the web, you should use Named Users.

0 Kudos
DevendraKhatri
New Contributor III

So it makes me clear that I must to go for the Basic license. As you said, for web, I must go for Named user licence but I read, the named user licence would ask user to login [correct me if I am wrong] which is not what I am looking for. The user credential [in terms of key or the username/password] will always be saved in the system.

Few more question though,

- Now, to call the REST APIs for the web, can't I use the same Basic license !

-  Would basic licence provide me both the options: Named user and Licence keys ! or I will have to choose one !

https://developers.arcgis.com/android/latest/guide/license-your-app.htm

This guide says licence keys count for each installation, so do we have any restriction on the number of installation with one key !

0 Kudos