GIS Project Workbook instead of traditional textbook?

05-29-2019 06:39 AM
JustinMadron1
New Contributor II

Has anyone used a project based workbook in any courses? I like the idea of framing the class around a multifaceted problem. I'd love to get your opinions, thanks! Higher Education Instruction and ResearchEducation

3 Replies
JessicaRosales2
New Contributor III

Justin Madron, I have not used the book you showed. During the last year, I've taught two courses with Getting to Know Web GIS by Pinde Fu (3rd Edition).  Would this be considered a traditional textbook?

During the course, each student creates a project that illustrates how ArcGIS can solve a business problem, then they use the skills in the book to complete the project. To begin, they must create a proposal and present to the class. For this, they use the skills learned to create a story map, chapters 1 & 2. Then they need to gather data, so they use the skills learned for Living Atlas or Survey123, chapters 2 & 4. Finally, create a web app, chapter 3, etc...

The students really like the book and I like that it's offered by VitalSource. 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Justin! 

In addition to what my colleague Jessica shared, one of my favorite project-based books for a long time has been Understanding ArcGIS:   https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-GIS-ArcGIS%C2%AE-Project-Workbook/dp/1589484835     Most of the projects are based on water in the Los Angeles basin and its many social and environmental implications.  Even if water quality is not your focus, the project-based nature of the book is wonderful.

--Joseph Kerski 

JustinMadron1
New Contributor II

Thanks Joseph, I will be sure and check that out. 

0 Kudos