Why did Arc Hydro stop working?

05-27-2019 07:29 AM
Labels (1)
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

I'm clearly not an expert but have been using Arc Hydro and Geo_HMS in Arcmap 10.4.1 fairly successfully for several years.  Last Friday (5/24) I suddenly started getting a new error message "System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geoprocessing.GeoProcessorClass.Execute(String Name, ..." in DEM reconditioning.  I looked up the available solutions online and none of them fixed the problem.  I tried old projects which had worked perfectly in the past and received the same error message.  Everything was fine on Thursday and DOA on Friday.  I couldn't imagine what I had done wrong.  I next upgraded to Arcmap 10.6.1 (adding all of the patches) but still got the same error.  I'm stuck.  My mistake should be so obvious that it's smacking me in the face but I can't see it.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

Additional information... When I try to run DEM reconditioning in GeoHMS (as opposed to Arc Hydro) I get the following error message "ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to create raster dataset Failed to execute (PolylineToRaster)."  That is then followed by the HRESULT E_FAIL shown above.  Please note my "Input Agree Stream" is a feature class with OBJECTID in it.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Hello Robert,

I have seen that error before, I fixed it by following:

Switch Background Geoprocessing off;

Ensure input raster is ESRI GRID format and geodatabase raster;

Ensure data projection is specified with x and y in metres and z in metres or scaled metres.

Presently, I am also having issues with ArcHydro so I sympathise.

Garret

0 Kudos
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Garret.  I already had switched off the Background Processing and had an ESRI GRID in a geodatabase, but I converted everything from English to Metric units.  Same result.  I'm grateful for the info however.

I really need to fix this.  It isn't just a minor inconvenience, but it's a significant part of my job.  I'm running everything on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor (updated to today).  Someone somewhere must know what is happening.

Bob

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Bob, I noticed an error in my message. The raster should indeed be ESRI grid format but not in a geodatabase, it should be in a normal windows folder.

Does that make a difference?

Garret

0 Kudos
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

No, it didn't change the error.  Thanks for the idea, however.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

see what happens if you use CopyRaster to copy your ESRI grid to (say) a .tif raster (i.e. c:\temp\myraster.tif) and then use this raster.

0 Kudos
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

Steve:  I gave it a try.  It didn't work.  Good idea though.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Since you upgraded ArcMap, this might be a good time to uninstall ArcHydro and reinstall with a version of ArcHydro that is compatible with 10.6.1.  Else, email arc hydro <archydro@esri.com>.

Incidentally, is the input raster float or integer?  If float, try integer; if integer, try float...

G

0 Kudos
RobertAnastasia
New Contributor II

I've been using the latest version of Arc Hydro since I upgraded to ArcMap 10.6.1.

I converted the raster to integer (using Math in the Spatial Analysis Tools) and got the same error message again.  This is a tough one.

0 Kudos