Best practice for removing domain list items in Survey123 Connect

05-23-2019 09:45 AM
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

One of the surveys we use has a checkbox list of operators names. Some of the operators have left and some new ones came on board, so we deleted the old names and added the new ones to the in Connect. The survey now looks good, however when we go to view the data, we can see that the name exists in the data view, but the Analyze tab only shows the existing names in the domain. Even when we select a record in data tab to view the individual survey, it only shows operator names that currently exist in the domain.

Is there a best practice for removing domain list items, and in this case, inside of a checkbox question? Is there a way to simply hide an item so it doesn't show up in the list in order to maintain the domain?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

You can manually add the names to the domain via the Feature Service's Item Details page - see Define attribute lists and ranges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

Hey James.

You can't edit the domains through the data tab in AGOL, at least not for how the survey is setup; it gives the option to create a new list, but I have a feeling that would wipe out the existing list. I had to go into Survey123 Connect and update the list and republish the survey. I've got the domain updated, but when users go to analyze their surveys, the domain values that were deleted aren't showing up (which is expected since the coded value for that name is missing). The data still exists in the text field, and it can be seen if the domain is added back, but I want to allow users to be able to see old coded domain when viewing old records without being able to choose them in new records. Essentially, I'm looking for a way to hide coded domains inside of a survey.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matt,

You should be able to update the domain via the Field view of the Data page.  That being said, there is a difference between the list in the question and the domain in the field - if you're publishing from Survey123 Connect, you will need to add the new values to the domain, while the old values should still be present for analysis.

0 Kudos