ArcGIS Pro vs ArcGIS 10.5.1 Georeference Question

05-17-2019 07:54 AM
Labels (1)
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I am going to have to do a lot of our USDA US Forest service Region 2 forest reserves that was scanned by the NARA and they have asked me to do these. The maps are very old dated back to 1897

My question to you, for those to have done, recommend or suggest me to do a best practice which software to do georeference in ArcGIS 10.5.1 or ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2. 

I have both on my computer and was wonder what is the pro and con ?

I'd like to hear from you and your comments ...

Thanks

P.S  As of 26 July 2019, I am attaching this video 

Warning : there is no audio at all...

17 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

I think you will find Pro better, but I know there were some updates to georeferencing recently so suggest using latest Pro 2.3. Remember use Save (vs Save As) which just add the control points and transforms to the auxiliary files (vs creating new images). Also when adding control points use L Key to turn image on off. Ensure you use suitable transformation.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes, Peter , I have seen a strange stuff when I save the control points...so the only way I can do is export it and save it in case if I lose it...

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Suggest you save the control points. (simple text file, that you can then reapply)

0 Kudos
SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

I would recommend ArcMap if you have lots to do. Personally struggling with the transition.

Refer to this thread:

https://community.esri.com/message/862056-re-georeferencing-bugs-in-arcgis-pro?commentID=862056%23co...

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. I personally haven't started but i set them up already ...so I will compare between the two ..

Thanks for the tips...

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes I have notice that when I tried to transformation the ungeoreferenced image and it will just show "ghost" in ArcGIS Pro....

Now I have to do it in ArcMap that I have set it up in ArcGIS Pro...it takes me a lot of work to do that...

Thanks for the link and I know it is not just me...

0 Kudos
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

Robert, please log a Support incident for this issue, so that we can address it.

Esri Support Contact Support 

Thanks!

Simon W.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Ok I will try and record it with video to show you what it is like if you know what I mean..

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have figure it out the problem ... I really don't know if it is already been done before or not...but the problem is a lot to do with the Georeference 's tool box

So if you hight light on a ungeorerfence image or whatever 

Go to Imagery to enable Georeference....

So you know there are section for Prepare like Move, rotate, scale.... that is where the problem is ... so whenever you move or scale and when you are done and get back to and hit the control points the image itself will disappear but it is actually return to the last position ...so you would have to hit Fit to Display again...

Get it ?

In the video I uploaded the other day, you can see why I was struggled to try and find something to get the image appear again.... Do you have any solution to that ?

Simon WooPeter BeckerSamantha Griffore

0 Kudos