Create Locator for Street Name

05-16-2019 05:03 AM
DavidGeorge
New Contributor

I have a polyline feature class which contains Street Names, which I wish to use as a locator.

For some reason, it does not seem possible to create a Locator using the Create Locator tool using the Street Address role with a polyline feature class that contains only Street Names and no House Numbers From/To. Reading the documentation for the Street Address role, it implies that it should be possible to create a Locator using this role with Street Names but without house numbers from/to. However fields for house numbers from/to are set as mandatory:

Is there any way around this? As the Street Address role seems to be the only role which supports Polyline Feature Classes. I wish to use to a Polyline Feature Class for this locator so that it reverse geocodes correctly along the whole of each street.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wish to use to a Polyline Feature Class for this locator so that it reverse geocodes correctly along the whole of each street.

You could try the General-Single Field type and use your Street Name field as the Key Field.  However, realize that such an approach will provide you with limited accuracy and less precision in your results.  All of your data will need to be dissolved on street name and if you have streets with a common name that are not spatially congruent, they will essentially be multi-part lines:  For example, you have a street name of Main St that runs for quite some distance and stops and starts again on either side of a river.  I believe the incoming 'address' of Main St to the centroid of the line, wherever that might be...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

David,

So you have a use-case to have only a StreetName locator?  You don't have a separate featureClass with address ranges?  If so, you can add a new field to the StreetName featureClass that has empty values and name it something like HouseNumber.  When building the locator, map this field for all of the range fields; Left House Number From, Left House Number To, Right House Number From, Right House Number To.

This was done to consolidate the locator and make the locator much smaller because typically users used StreetName locators as a fallback for a StreetAddress locator and then there would be duplicate locators that really contained all of the same information except no house number for StreetName.  Now we can build a single locator that has all of the information in one spot and only give StreetName candidates where the house ranges actually don't exist.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Brad