Is there a way to automate snapping a polygon anchor (center of distance buffer) to a point anchor based on a unique ID attribute?

05-15-2019 01:54 PM
CharleyPalmer1
New Contributor III

I've created a polygon feature class consisting of a specified buffer distance (100 feet) around each point in a separate feature class. Both feature classes have a common unique identifier.

I'd like to be able to automate moving the center of each polygon buffer (default anchor point) to its associated point when the point is moved so that I don't end up with a data set of buffers that are no longer centered on their respective point. This is because the points are moved occasionally when correct coordinates become available.

I am able to drag-snap a single polygon center (anchor) to a point, but I'd like to do this for all of my polygons based on a unique identifier in each feature class. And I'd like to automate this so that any points that have been moved will bring their associated polygons with them.

Using the following software:

ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2

ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 Standard (ArcEditor) - have the following extensions:

• 3D Analyst
  • Spatial Analyst
  • Publisher

NOTE: If there's a better way/place to pose this questions, please advise!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Without bespoke code I think the simplest solution is to simply generate your buffers after you have moved your point. If you have added fields to your buffers that hold other information then as you have a common ID you could join those fields to the new buffers and then discard the old buffer layer.

This could all be easily automated in Modelbuilder.

0 Kudos