Is a Map Series Page Query supposed to affect the Map View it is based on?

Jump to solution
05-11-2019 08:08 AM
WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

I'm not understanding why/when features are drawing in the map view my map series is using when I set a page query.

The query is set on an annotation layer.
Everything appears to draw correctly when viewing the series in the layout, honoring the page query.

However, when working in the map view, not everything displays and it even seems to change occasionally when switching between map and layout or reopening the project.

The first screenshot is without the page query set.

The second is after setting it to the MapSeriesPage field.

The third is after messing around trying to figure out why Test wasn't displaying, not changing any settings.

All three are from the map view.

What is the expected behavior in the Map View for drawing features that are part of a map series page query?

Thanks,
Walker

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Walker, 

The Page Query is applied on the layer and will affect the layer's drawing in any Map Views. The query applied on this layer will be for the last active page of the map series (even if the map series has been turned off). 

You can see the same principal in effect when setting map-based properties such as Rotation or Spatial Reference for the map series. When either of these properties are set they are applied to the map and will affect how the map is drawn in Map Views.

Currently, there is no way to separate these queries and properties so that they ONLY apply to the map series. If you wish to see all the layer's features you will need to set the Page Query back to "<None>".

Hope this helps, 

Tom

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Walker, 

The Page Query is applied on the layer and will affect the layer's drawing in any Map Views. The query applied on this layer will be for the last active page of the map series (even if the map series has been turned off). 

You can see the same principal in effect when setting map-based properties such as Rotation or Spatial Reference for the map series. When either of these properties are set they are applied to the map and will affect how the map is drawn in Map Views.

Currently, there is no way to separate these queries and properties so that they ONLY apply to the map series. If you wish to see all the layer's features you will need to set the Page Query back to "<None>".

Hope this helps, 

Tom

WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

"last active page of the map series (even if the map series has been turned off)" was throwing me off.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think there's still something buggy going on, at least for me.... I'm having a similar problem. When I run a standalone python script that turns on the page query for some annotation labels through the CIM it displays appropriately in the map series, but only the annotation for page 1 displays in the map view. This happens regardless of whether I turn the query off and back on, activate the map frame in a different page in the series, or refresh the map series, etc. I can't imagine this is a feature, as it doesn't happen when I turn on the page query manually.

0 Kudos