iOS app crash relating to Info.plist

Jump to solution
05-06-2019 01:20 PM
JaredButler
New Contributor

I have an issue with my Invasives Reporter app crashing on iOS devices. The app was created using Cloud Make with AppStudio for ArcGIS 3.3.110 and testing was done on an iPad Air 2. When running the app through Apple's TestFlight, it crashes after loading the initial background image but prior to landing page buttons appearing.  The crash text generated is as follows:

“This app has crashed because it attempted to access privacy-sensitive data with a usage description. The app’s Info.plist must contain an NSMicrophoneUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.”

For this app, the only capabilities enabled are Location, Network, External Storage, and Camera. I did notice that within the appinfo.json, line 31 does have “microphone”: false and on line 156 there is a text description for the microphone usage “microphoneUsageDescription”: “This app uses your microphone to record audio to submit with your report.”

Thank you for any guidance on this!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShobanaSuresh
Esri Contributor

Hi,Jared Butler

microphoneUsageDescription specified in appinfo.json will be added to the built iOS app's Info.plist file only when microphone capability has been enabled.

The crash issue described above can be resolved by setting the microphone capability to true in your app's appinfo.json.  After making this change, please make sure to upload your app to ArcGIS Online and submit a new build request. 

Thanks

Shobana

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShobanaSuresh
Esri Contributor

Hi,Jared Butler

microphoneUsageDescription specified in appinfo.json will be added to the built iOS app's Info.plist file only when microphone capability has been enabled.

The crash issue described above can be resolved by setting the microphone capability to true in your app's appinfo.json.  After making this change, please make sure to upload your app to ArcGIS Online and submit a new build request. 

Thanks

Shobana

0 Kudos
JaredButler
New Contributor

Hi Shobana,

Updating this line did allow for the app to correctly work in the Apple TestFlight environment. While I would like for the microphone usage option to be disabled (as I don't utilize the microphone), it appears that as of now I'll need to leave it on and have the app request permission for microphone usage.

Thanks!

Jared

0 Kudos