Default Toolbox and Geodatabase with Project Templates

Jump to solution
05-03-2019 02:13 PM
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

I want to be able to make a Python toolbox the default toolbox in an ArcGIS Pro project.  I am making a project template and I am putting all my code into the Python Toolbox.  I have no need for the .tbx file that gets created automatically.  Is there a way to do this?  If not, is there a reason why?

The same thing kind of goes for my default geodatabase.  I am bringing in an FGDB with an empty schema from my project template.  I don’t need the extra blank file geodatabase that gets created.  I can delete it through Python and reset the default GDB to the one I had in the template, but it would be nice if it kept the original default geodatabase from the source project.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This topic is quite lively, with the response being a universal dislike of the extra toolboxes and FGDB's being created by Pro, especially with templates:

We've tried to workaround it by this: 

Unfortunately you have to do this for each user of each computer, and new users are popping up as fast as "how do I get rid of the extra toolboxes and geodatabases" comments, and I've gotten quite a lot of negative feedback "Arc Map wasn't this complicated to use!". You also can't put the default "junk" on a network share as Pro performance suffers greatly when the default junk is on a network drive, and there's the danger of multiple folks using the same junk. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

This topic is quite lively, with the response being a universal dislike of the extra toolboxes and FGDB's being created by Pro, especially with templates:

We've tried to workaround it by this: 

Unfortunately you have to do this for each user of each computer, and new users are popping up as fast as "how do I get rid of the extra toolboxes and geodatabases" comments, and I've gotten quite a lot of negative feedback "Arc Map wasn't this complicated to use!". You also can't put the default "junk" on a network share as Pro performance suffers greatly when the default junk is on a network drive, and there's the danger of multiple folks using the same junk. 

NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

Well, thanks for clarifying that.  I noticed the extra settings, but it wasn't really what I was looking for.  The developers will have to address everyone's feedback.

JeremiahP
New Contributor

Agreed - I often find the automatic creation of a default toolbox and geodatabase very annoying. I just want an aprx at least 70% of the time.

ArcMap didn't do this, and I/we always have our own folder structures anyway, with multiple map documents referencing common data folders.

Please allow users the option to create aprx files *without* a default toolbox and gdb. We can always point to them later.

For now, I just have my create project settings pointing to a sandbox toolbox and gdb. And I have it set to not create a project folder.