StoryMap w/o Pop-ups

05-02-2019 05:35 AM
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

I am a historian who is getting his feet wet with ArcGIS Online, Story Maps and GIS, and thus far in ArcGIS Online I have a pretty good map of museums in a region where, if one clicks on the building icon, a pop-up appears showing info (museum name, contact info, address, etc).  I want to move this into the ArcGIS Story Map realm.  Note:  I'm using a free, personal account in ArcGIS.

IDEA:  User pans the map, clicks on icon for museum, and in the left-hand panel of the Story Map, info on the museum (text + images) appears, instead of such appearing in a popup.  I am assuming Story Map Basic would suffice for this.

I'm delving into Story Map how-to videos and web blogs and have been unable to figure out how to get this working.  Perhaps its simple and I'm just missing something, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

Thank you for the links, which I read through (and viewed video).  However, what I am looking for is for the contents of what I click on (when I click on an icon) to appear in the left-hand panel and not in a pop-up.   The links don't appear to address this in regard to Story Maps

0 Kudos
JohnWolf1
New Contributor

John,

I am also looking for this feature, but I need to keep the popup functionality. It's amazing to me that Story Maps will not (natively) let you drive the interactive experience FROM the map. It looks as if it will require some HTML coding to get around the problem. Did you figure this out?

I read this blog from Cooper Thomas where he talks about inverting the functionality through code, but he uses a layer with an attribute table (?) which is not what I am looking for. I have zero HTML experience and this one issue is holding up our heritage project.

I need to be able to click on a map note (small icon), receive a popup AND instantly display information in the left side panel. The required functionality is very similar to the National Geographic Out-of-Eden Walk Milestone SM featured by ESRI here.

John Wolf

0 Kudos
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

John, I ended up going with a Story Map Series template.  I gave up with Shortlist, and will just stay with the point- and polygon-based pop-ups.  The nice thing about the Series template is that it allows both types of pop-ups to work.  Also, I like that I can section things in tabs (in my case, I have a tab per county), and I can have a panel on the left-hand side with text and images.  I am progressing along well on my map now so I don't want to change to another template at this time.  Thanks!

JohnWolf1
New Contributor

Thanks for the update. Like you, I have a lot of content to display so the series template is definitely a help with that. I'll look at the Series template today to see if it gets me closer. I hope I can get this to work because the core requirement for the project is interaction driven from the map, and not the panel. Without it, I may have to consider other software for this project.

0 Kudos
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos