How to calculate the filling levels of sinks depending on a defined volume?

04-29-2019 06:07 AM
Labels (1)
BenjaminBurrichter
New Contributor

Dear Community,

I am currently trying to determine the water levels in sinks as a result of heavy rainfall events with different return times in Arcgis. For this purpose I have a DEM, a grid with precipitation data and a grid with discharge coefficients at my disposal. With these data I have already determined the discharge volume for the catchment areas of the sinks. In the next step I would like to fill the sinks in dependence of the determined volume and afterwards display the water levels in a map. Can someone give me tell me how to fill the sinks depending on a defined volume?

Kind regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

Are you wanting to fill every sink in the watershed to whatever level it would fill, or to one large sink (reservoir/lake) at the low end of the watershed?

If it is the former, I'd be curious with someones answer. If a minor sink fills, you'd have to determine where the overflow volume goes and how much it fills the next sink downstream and then the next, etc. If this is a dynamic model, where you aren't looking just at the total storm runoff, but how the sinks fill over time, you've go a pretty complex model going on. And I'm not sure you can to that using ArcMap.

If it is the latter (one large sink), you would normally make a depth-volume curve for the sink/reservoir/lake that would allow you to determine the depth after determining the volume. Also, large sinks have an outlet. and you'd need to do reservoir routing to determine the maximum depth of fill for a storm. Again, I'm not sure you can to that using ArcMap.

Mark

0 Kudos