How can I capture the event when my custom dockpane is closed?

Jump to solution
04-25-2019 11:43 AM
KhamilleJaynes
New Contributor III

Hi! I want to learn how to capture when my custom dockpane is closed. I would like to handle this event by saving whether the dockpane was left open or closed. 

I found this resource (ProConcepts Framework · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub ) but I'm not sure if it's related, because I put this code into my Module.cs file:

protected override void OnPaneClosed(Pane pane)
{
   //...
}
and added a breakpoint in VisualStudio 2017. I ran my program and when I closed my custom dockpane, the breakpoint wasn't hit. 

I thought that there might be an event related to panes that I could subscribe OnPaneClosed() to but I didn't find anything that sounded like what I need.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

The Dockpane class has an OnShow override that can be used to determine when the Dockpane is visible or closed.  Here is the method snippet below.  The parameter passed to this method will be true if the Dockpane is being opened and it is false when you close the dockpane.

protected override void OnShow(bool isVisible)
        {
            System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine($"Visible: {isVisible}");            
        }

Note: Dock panes are singletons—there is never more than one instance of a particular dock pane—and once created, they are not destroyed until the application is closed.  They are only "hidden" when you close it.

Thanks

Uma

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

I found a way to do it but this is not MVVM at all...

In my xaml in the DockPane I set <DockPane ....Unloaded="DockPanel_Unloaded">

Then I have a routine in my class of the xaml (and NOT in my modelView) looks like this:

private void DockPanel_Unloaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

It is called and working.

I tried to put in xaml  Unloaded="{Binding closePane}" but could not make it working.

Anybody?

0 Kudos
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

The Dockpane class has an OnShow override that can be used to determine when the Dockpane is visible or closed.  Here is the method snippet below.  The parameter passed to this method will be true if the Dockpane is being opened and it is false when you close the dockpane.

{
            System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine($"Visible: {isVisible}");            
        }

Note: Dock panes are singletons—there is never more than one instance of a particular dock pane—and once created, they are not destroyed until the application is closed.  They are only "hidden" when you close it.

Thanks

Uma

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Uma

Thanks, it works (why is the intellisense does not show this option?).

Let me take it one step foreword.

The reason I need this is to clean some combo boxes.

I have some input form to enter field values. If the user reopen the dock to enter new record I would like the combo to return to empty just like the first time the dock was opened.

Below is a short snippet of my code, I need the select source to be empty even if it has some value the last time the dock was visible.

Thanks

{
            //System.Windows.MessageBox.Show("h");
            if(isVisible == true)
            {
                _SelectList1 = "";
                NotifyPropertyChanged(() => SelectSource) ;
            }
        }

public string SelectSource
        {
            get
            { return _SelectList1; }
            set
            { SetProperty(ref _SelectList1, value, () => SelectSource); }
        }

public ObservableCollection<string> List1
        {
            get
            {

if (_List1 == null)
                {
                    _List1 = new ObservableCollection<string>();
                    _List1.Add("one");
                    _List1.Add("two");
                    _List1.Add("three");
                }
                return _List1;
            }
            set
            {
                SetProperty(ref _List1, value, () => _List1);
            }
        }
0 Kudos
KhamilleJaynes
New Contributor III

Hi Uma,

This worked perfectly for what I wanted to achieve. Thank you!

0 Kudos
KarthikAditya
New Contributor III

Thank you for the snippet.

However, the OnShow method is called not only when the DockPane is opened or closed but also when it's auto hidden - collapsed into the non-client area.

Is there a way to distinguish when the DockPane is closed and when its auto-hidden?

0 Kudos
Amadeus111
Occasional Contributor II

@UmaHarano is it possible to use this for a dockpane coming from another addin. 

In my case, my main dockpane supposed to control another dockpane (dependent) that is attached to another addin. I am passing dockpaneid from categories/components and able to control it via a checkbox. However, I cant detect the event when user decides to close the dockpane via its pane by using X. 

Is there a solution for that? Thanks!

0 Kudos
YeongHwaShih
New Contributor

If you are docking the pane then "Unloaded" also get triggered then how to distinguish either Close or Docking?

0 Kudos