AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS Pro on a Dell XPS 13 - will I regret it?!

Question asked by twroblewski@tacp.co.uk on Apr 23, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2019 by tpcolson

Hi, I'm currently using a Dell Precision M4800 mobile workstation - one of the old-school Dell brick style powerhouses!  It's powerful but far from mobile!

I've got the opportunity to get a new laptop through work and am considering the Dell XPS 13.

GIS work probably consumes 25% of my time and its not significant number crunching or 3D work - its mainly light feature class editing and working between Pro and Online.  What seems to make my current laptop suffer is the number of layers I will sometimes have in a map, many of which are served over the internet - so the bottleneck might be internet speeds etc. rather than performance of my current laptop.

The Dell XPS 13 appeals because it is small - I do a lot of travelling by train and spend time in client offices etc.  If I'm sat at my desk, I use a dock and larger monitors.

I'm aware that the Dell XPS 13 doesn't have dedicated graphics - but I'd go the maximum RAM and the best CPU I can:

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz, 4 cores)
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
  • 13.3" 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) InfinityEdge Touch Display
  • 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/laptops/new-xps-13/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop/bnx38005

Any thoughts on whether this would run Pro for my needs okay?

Thanks,

Tim

Outcomes