Does Pro require IE 11?

Jump to solution
03-25-2019 05:22 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm Shows that IE 11 is required, which implies not optional, which implies...if you're having any issues with Pro, not having IE 11 could result in a "not supported" adjudication. Coincidentally, IE 11 has been dead for years, and as other posters have noted, data centers are being crawled and any IE 11 instances are being removed. While Pro might work with Edge, per https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm, it's not supported, and your mileage may vary. ArcMap has the same requirement, which leads to the unfortunate future in which using servers to automate some data management tasks is no longer possible due to has-dubious-utility requirement that IE be installed. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Internet Explorer (IE) is a component of the Windows operating system as documented in this Microsoft support article: Lifecycle FAQ – Internet Explorer

Thomas Colson, I’m unaware of a way for IE to literally be removed from the OS.  Rather, the Windows feature can be turned off.

Kevin MacLeod when you say that you aren’t able to start Pro, can you provide more details?  If the machine is a Windows Server OS, it may have the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration enabled. If that setting is enabled and security zones are not configured on the server, the ArcGIS Pro sign-in dialog can show up blank or with missing items.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Indeed Thomas, as you mention, Amazon removed IE on my instance. If Esri has a way to use Edge in Pro I'd be all ears. Either now or once it is implemented if it is an enhancement that has to take place.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Internet Explorer (IE) is a component of the Windows operating system as documented in this Microsoft support article: Lifecycle FAQ – Internet Explorer

Thomas Colson, I’m unaware of a way for IE to literally be removed from the OS.  Rather, the Windows feature can be turned off.

Kevin MacLeod when you say that you aren’t able to start Pro, can you provide more details?  If the machine is a Windows Server OS, it may have the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration enabled. If that setting is enabled and security zones are not configured on the server, the ArcGIS Pro sign-in dialog can show up blank or with missing items.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kory I understand in terms of Enhanced Security config. I can't even access those settings because IE is just gone. Missing. It is not available in Features (Roles in Server) to enable, it's not an option. I am thinking maybe it's an AWS thing. 

However I went in, so I could show you a screenshot. Well... no idea what happened, but now, it just works. Yep. Pro just launched for me. I had 2.30 on it and I am updating to 2.32 now. Eh, who knows. Thanks for prompting me to look into it!  Now...now I shall get to publishing Locators against our 10.61 server and hopefully get auto-complete Suggestions working again for our geocoders. Thanks Kory!

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

There is no disputing that M$ bakes IE into its current operating system. There is also no disputing that security isn't at the top, or even close to the top, of things that M$ is well known for. Some STIGS are calling for IE to be removed from datacenters, and/or some datacenters are taking it upon themselves to remove it. I think the point of this thread is, can the dependency on IE be removed? M$ Edge is a much more secure alternative than IE. ESRI want's the best security, right? 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

ArcGIS Ideas‌?  It isn't clear what this one is asking for: https://community.esri.com/ideas/1968 so maybe something more explicit like Remove ArcGIS's dependency on Internet Explorer as a system requirement...

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeah, this needs to be addressed. OT, but, I just got a new VM from the Data Center, IE is definitely blocked and not getting installed, so neither is ArcGIS Server. 

0 Kudos