Address points not on actual structure , but are on end of driveway

04-22-2019 01:47 PM
Labels (1)
NikkiHill
New Contributor II

There is an app my County elections office hosted on ArcGIS Online. This app and the assessor’s office app have one fatal flaw, the address points created by the County 911 are placed at the end of the driveways. When using this address point layer as the search layer which is the most comprehensive layer database my county has, creates the problem because boundaries for jurisdictions usually follows the parcel lines. And if the address point is outside of the parcel at the end of the driveway the return district/precinct/levee can be wrong.

One major undertaking between myself, the County 911 will be coming up with a way to get one addressing layer with all address points on the structure. That way when I go to create an application, the district, levee, or area I am looking for would be accurately represented when I put in an address.

I am not experienced in scripts, let alone know where to even enter it in ArcPro. Is there a way to do this less painfully than moving my 35000+ address points to be located on top of the structure instead of at the end of the driveways?

20 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about creating a point at the centroid of the building footprint and then spatially joining it to address points to get a vast majority of the points.  Then manually move only the more complicated address points that fall outside the parcel.

Are you going to stack address points for apartment buildings?

0 Kudos
NikkiHill
New Contributor II

It looks like there are no building footprints in our database. Is this shapefile necessary to complete this task?

Cheers,

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

There is a free Building Footprint layer that you could use as a start.

https://github.com/Microsoft/USBuildingFootprints

From here you would download building footprints into a zip file for the entire US.  (The data is not perfect as it is dated with missing structures as well as structures that have been modified and or demolished and this would vary from one area to the next.)

You would unzip this file and then add the data to Pro (I think ArcMap has a hard time processing all the data).

Then use your jurisdiction's boundary to only clip out building footprints for your jurisdiction which would leave you with building footprints with no addresses.  Since you do not already have building footprints I guess you would be using aerial photos to determine building location, but without the vector building footprint polygon layer I'm not sure how you would automate the process.

You can then add a new address field(s) to the new building footprint layer and then spatially join to the parcel layer and field calculate the address into the building footprint layer.  Then you could create a point at the centroid of the building footprint.  Then spatially join the address point to the building footprint centroid point that provides a corrected address point location with an address.  If you already have address data for the address points, you would need to compare this address data to the parcel based address data as they may be different and you'll need to determine which address is correct.  This will not get addresses for all points (As you say some address points fall outside parcel boundary which you can manually fix, but it should hopefully be a small subset of the original data).

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Do your building footprints already have an address on them? 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NikkiHill
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, I do not have a building footprint layer. I have been searching for one with address, but no luck.

Cheers,

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How about your parcels layer: do they have a 'Location Address' that can be used?

0 Kudos
NikkiHill
New Contributor II

Yes I do.

Cheers,

Nikki R. Hill

GIS Coordinator

Jasper County, MO

Jasper County Courthouse

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You can turn your parcels polygons to points; be prepared for a firestorm of sorts migrating from the points you have now to something else....

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Seems like you would need a Production Mapping license for this workflow.

Even generating points at the centroid of a polygon might be a licensing issue, as it is only available with the Advanced license and this tool would be critical to the workflow I have outlined above.

0 Kudos