Block adjustment error with GCP's

04-18-2019 07:45 AM
JurieTheron
New Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to experiment with using Ground Control Points for Drone Imagery and test how they influence the Orthomosaic accuracy before and after using GCP by looking at the amount of error in the Adjustment Report.

After setting up my Workspace using the OrthoMapping workflow (type Drone), I use the Adjust function to apply block adjustments so I can add GCP after first Adjustments have been made (the Manage GCP's function is disabled when the block adjustments have not been applied yet). 

This is the Log output for the block adjustments...

Queued...
Running...
Computing Block Adjustment...
Start Time: Thursday, 18 April 2019 14:37:17
Distributing operation across 4 parallel instances.
Computing initial tie points...
Analyzing initial tie point coverage...
Estimating initial orientation...
Computing initial block adjustment...
Applying initial block adjustment...
Computing final tie points...
Analyzing final tie point coverage...
Computing final block adjustment...
Generating DSM...
0 solution points.
Applying final block adjustment...

Succeeded at Thursday, 18 April 2019 15:06:13 (Elapsed Time: 28 minutes 55 seconds)

Something strange is that the log output says there is 0 solution points... Is this normal? I can plot the solution points and open the attributes table and assess the residuals. Also, when I just continue to produce a DSM and Morthomosaic (WITHOUT GCP), it works fine.

When I try to add GCP, from which I only have 3 because it was a small test. I change one to a Check Point, and manually check the tie points for all GCPs. I recompute the tie points to Append them Existing Control Points. 

This is where I encounter an error. After recomputing tie points I have to rerun the Adjustments to update the image collections. But I get this error when it starts processing the DEM:

Queued...
Running...
Computing Block Adjustment...
WARNING 000725: Output Solution Table: Dataset C:\ArcGIS Pro\GCPTest\OrthoMapping\GCPTest.eomw\Imagery\GCPTest.gdb\GCPTest_SolutionTable already exists.
WARNING 000725: Output Solution Points: Dataset C:\ArcGIS Pro\GCPTest\OrthoMapping\GCPTest.eomw\Imagery\GCPTest.gdb\GCPTest_SolutionPoints already exists.
Start Time: Thursday, 18 April 2019 16:21:14
Succeeded at Thursday, 18 April 2019 16:24:56 (Elapsed Time: 3 minutes 41 seconds)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Generating Digital Elevation Model...
Start Time: Thursday, 18 April 2019 16:24:57
ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
An invalid SQL statement was used.
An invalid SQL statement was used. [GCPTest_SolutionPoints]
An invalid SQL statement was used. [SELECT SHAPE FROM GCPTest_SolutionPoints WHERE ImageID = 0 AND Status > 0 AND Residual < 5,000000]
Failed to execute (InterpolateFromPointCloud).
Failed at Thursday, 18 April 2019 16:24:57 (Elapsed Time: 0,14 seconds)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? 

4 Replies
MattiasTivlin
New Contributor III

I have exactly the same problem. Anyone with a solution?

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Mattias, can you tell us which version you are running?  

Jurie, I'm sorry I did not see this post in April - can you also confirm version?

Also, could you send us your adjustment reports?  I will contact you directly to give you my email.

Cody B

0 Kudos
MattiasTivlin
New Contributor III

Arcgis pro 2.3.3

0 Kudos
JurieTheron1
New Contributor

Hi Cody,

Since posting this, I have been working with a ESRI South African technician to address this issue. After trouble shooting for some time (eventually the issue was sent to ESRI USA), it seems that this issue is related to hardware. Or that's the answer I received from ESRI.

Some hardware combinations will produce a "hidden error" that will cause a 9999 error at a later stage. During first block adjustment, no solution points are created, which is the issue. I was using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2.

However, since the new release (2.4.1) I cant even create a OrthoMapping Workspace. ArcGIS Pro crashes when I load my drone Imagery into the workspace. Also, images taken from different drone cameras produce different errors!

Regards,

Jurie

0 Kudos