ArcGIS Pro SQL Server Failed to Connect to Specified DBMS Instance Error

04-17-2019 12:51 PM
DanielKepner_Garcia
New Contributor

When using ArcGis Pro, I keep getting an error when trying to connect to SQL Server databases.  The error isn't very specific on what the issue is. "Failed to connect to specified DBMS instance." and "An unexpected fatal exception has occurred within this application.  Execution should be terminated."

I attached a picture of the message I get.

The strange thing is when I use ArcMap I am perfectly able to connect.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

ArcGis Pro  2.2.0 (64-bit)

ArcMap 10.5.1 (32-bit)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to use the same SQL Server client to connect to both geodatabases?  You need a 32 bit client to connect to ArcMap and a 64 bit client to connect to Pro.  The order of the database client in the path environmental variable may be important and I would put the 64 bit client first to start.  You will need admin privileges on the computer to make these changes.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Michael Volz wrote:

Are you trying to use the same SQL Server client to connect to both geodatabases?  You need a 32 bit client to connect to ArcMap and a 64 bit client to connect to Pro.  The order of the database client in the path environmental variable may be important and I would put the 64 bit client first to start.  You will need admin privileges on the computer to make these changes.

No. The client bit level matters in case of Oracle only. 

For SQL Server, the Native Client bit level depends on the OS Bit level. So, if you have a 64-Bit OS, install 64-Bit Native Client (ODBC Driver) and that will allow you to connect with both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop.

DanielKepner_Garcia
New Contributor

I'll download the 64bit SQL Server ODBC driver and see if that fixes the issue.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
DanielKepner_Garcia
New Contributor

I have both SQL Server and SQL Server Compact Edition installed on my machine now and SQL Server is in my path.  I am still getting the error.  

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop are on the same server?

What is the version of SQL Server being used?

0 Kudos
DanielKepner_Garcia
New Contributor

Yes, ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap are on the same local machine.  I am trying to connect to a SQL Server 2016 server

0 Kudos
JYI
by
Occasional Contributor

Has anybody have solution to this question? I have the same issue recently about a week ago, with this Azure SQL database (version Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 12.0.2000.8).  Before it worked fine in ArcGIS Pro 2.4. I totally removed ArcGIS Pro and reinstalled it, no any luck. 

I am still able to use ArcMap 10.6.1 to connect to the same database on the same machine, and I can still use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18 to connect to the same database on the same machine too. 

Why does only ArcGIS Pro have this issue?

Any possible solutions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Since you can install the SQL tools, can you run a SQL trace while you're trying to connect to SQL from Pro? I have kept many cases away from busy tech support by looking at the traces generated by SQL profiler, to realize the problem was on my end (e.g insufficient permissions, etc...)