Total Black Screen instead of Map (ArcMap)

Jump to solution
04-17-2019 03:31 AM
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III
Good afternoon,

I write here because I am experiencing some issues with my ArcGIS version. 
Below a little description of what my problem is: 

I have a student License for ArcGIS Desktop with Newcastle University. 

I'm trying to open some maps that I have, but I always have the same problem: I cannot visualize any map. I have just a black screen. 

Checking on the internet it seems like the map "has no spatial references", but I can easily visualize it on other computers, so I don't know where my problem came from. 

I tried to fix this problem following some suggestions found on the internet, but nothing happened. 

I have exactly the same problem, anyway if I try with other maps/shape files. 
You can find a screen attached.
How can I solve this issues?
Thank You in advance,
Andrea 
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

I got the solution.

I deactivate 3D acceleration on VirtualBox Settings and everything is working now.

I post a screen below.  "Enable 3D acceleration" has to be unselected.

Thank You all Guys

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Bottom right of your image, it says "unknown units"

Did you by chance add all the data at once? or just one file at a time?

Perhaps create a new blank map and add just one file and zoom to that layer.  Check the layers properties and report the extent and coordinate system.  Could be that one file is in error or isn't the same as the other layers.

If this happens with all data, you may need to do a "repair" on your installation

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

Good Evening Dan,

I tried to add just one file per time and also all the files altogether, but the problem remains.

I also tried to repair the installation, but nothing has changed.

I noticed that the maps exist under the black screen because I can see it just for a millisecond, but after that, it disappears below the black square.

Any idea??

Thanks,

Andrea

0 Kudos
VictoriaAnderson
Esri Contributor

Does the black screen appear if there is no data in the map? Or does it only appear after data has been added? 

You could try resetting ArcMap's application profile. There are directions on how to do this here: https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121-resetting-your-arcgis-application-profile

Also, what version of ArcMap are you using?

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

Good Evening Victoria,

I tried already to reset ArcMap's application profile, deleting the ESRI folder, but nothing has changed.

The black screen appears also if there is no data loaded.

I noticed that the maps exist under the black screen because I can see it just for a millisecond, but after that, it disappears below the black square.

Any idea?

Thanks Again,

Andrea

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

Good Evening guys,

That's the message I receive every time I try to Add a shapefile.

It could be useful.

Thank You,

Andrea

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It means that there is no defined coordinate system for the file, so it won't behave well with other data.  If you open a new map with no other data, you should be able to add it to the map.  If it doesn't appear, then right-click on the layer and select zoom to layer.  If you can see it good.  If the map is totally black, then that warning is of no consequence.

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

Nothing so far, still a black square also trying zooming to the layer.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If reinstalling or repairing the software doesn't work... no clue

check your computers ability to run the software on the link on this page

ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

maybe you have a bad or undernourished video

0 Kudos
AndreaPaindelli
New Contributor III

I'm running ArcGIS on a Virtual Machine (Virtual Box, because I'm a Mac user). I already tried to change some drivers of the Virtual Machine, such as the Video Memory, but nothing has changed.

I've to point up that I use a large number of other programs on this Virtual Machine, with no problem.

0 Kudos