ArcPad Won't Open But Everything Else Will

04-09-2019 05:28 PM
adriangatewood
New Contributor

Arcpad 10.2.4 

Windows 10

So I have a really strange problem. I have a user that can open every executable with the arcpad package download (studio, sync, etc) even the toolbar works but arcpad itself won't open. You click, nothing happens and there's no error messages. When checking task manager arcpad is being listed as a background process but isn't using any resources besides a little bit of ram. 

I've tried reinstalling (and installing different versions), running with different compatibility settings, and booting in safe mode. Nothing seems to work, and it's driving me nuts. No other program he's running is having this problem.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

I just had that problem, and after quite a while, we finally found a solution.  

Go into the ArcPad modules folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.2\Modules) and remove "ArcGISOnline.dll". 

Then just restart ArcPad.  I had to put in the unlock code again, but that's it!

MarkBarker1
Esri Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I have been seeing with issue occasionally with users calling in over the past few months. More times than not it has been virus programs flagging ArcPad as a malicious software and not allowing it to run. I would double check if you have any real-time monitoring to make sure that ArcPad is white-listed. The same goes for anti-ransomware programs, it will tend to lump ArcPad into the malicious programs list till you tell it otherwise.

I have tried to figure out why this is such an issue with Windows 10 and I believe the problem may be that ArcPad was originally created for compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows Mobile. From my understanding of Microsoft, they tend to require some type of certification for the different Windows versions, even though ArcPad does work on Windows 10, it could be that many of these virus program manufacturers are going off some type of safe program credential list from Windows 10 where ArcPad isn’t present. This is just a theory, but I am continuing to narrow it down.

0 Kudos