AnsweredAssumed Answered

TIN surface handling best practices

Question asked by jmaeding on Apr 4, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2019 by jmaeding

I come from the land of autocad/bricscad, and have used several tools to make tin surfaces. My company even made their own set of tools because we do not like how civil3d shares stuff. We have used Infraworks since its birth, and I am experienced at formatting surface data as tin, grid, point cloud if desired.

My recent quest is to use ArcGIS Pro to make 3d scenes, and then share with the Online product. I did a few tests, and quickly realized that Pro is not great at dealing with tin's of a couple million tris. I am on a fast machine, hardware is not the issue.

In Infraworks, we typically have three surfaces - usgs dem for way outside the project, an existing ground tin from flown topo for the site, and a proposed ground tin for roads and subdivision we are designing.

It can be a lot as we do master planned developments.

Knowing that I am going to push Pro in this manner, can anyone recommend the most efficient way of formatting the tins?

I am a bit new to how ESRI software does things, and am guessing there is some way of feeding Pro just what it needs for a given view angle and zoom factor. School me please

Outcomes