Update Geodatabase with Annotation

04-03-2019 08:15 AM
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, I know that the annotation is now updated automatically. Because of this how do you update the feature class in the geodatabase that the annotation is assigned to?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

The annotation is NOT upgraded automatically when you access it via Pro. You must run the Upgrade Dataset GP tool to do this: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/upgrade-dataset.htm

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

All my work is in Pro already. I don’t need to upgrade the geodatabase. It’s already updated to the 2.1 ArcGIS Pro version. I need to update the feature class inside the geodatabase that the annotation is attached to.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would recommend upgrading to Pro 2.3.2 (it has a lot of updates for annotation) and running the GP tool. It does NOT upgrade the geodatabase but the feature class that holds the annotation.

--- George T.
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan. So if I use the GP tool it updates the feature class right?? Just making sure I read correctly.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Yes it will upgrade the annotation feature class. Once upgraded, it will NOT be able to be viewed (at all) in ArcMap.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Thanks George. I’ll mark the question.

0 Kudos
ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

OK,

I just saw this and now I have a lot of questions about Annotations.

We are using both Arcmap and GIS Pro. But I am unable to do anything with Annotations in Pro unless I upgrade the Geodata set. But if I do that people would not be able to view the Annotation Layer in ArcMap. For a program that is to make things easier it is making it a lot harder.

So now my question is this. We are having issues with editing layers in Geodata sets that contain Annotation layers that originally came from ARCMap. Could the annotations be blocking use by being able to edit FGDB using the Basic Pro License?

Chris

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

If you have upgraded those annotation feature classes in the dataset - then yes that's why you're unable to edit other feature classes in that dataset in ArcMap.

Here are some links to help

See the last section - Upgrade annotation feature classes

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/annotation/managing-annotation-feature-classes.htm#GUID-...

There is a chart in this one that describes how annotation is supported across versions

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/upgrade-dataset.htm

thanks and hope this is helpful

Wendy

0 Kudos
ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

Wendy,

Thanks for the reply. 

How can ESRI ask companies to update to a new platform that will no longer support existing data? My place of employment has decided to have a few people that will use Pro to see how it works and to start moving towards the end date of 2025.

With this last update of Pro , 2.3.2, we are having MAJOR issues with data disappearing during editing within a File Geodatabase with a single data set. I am thinking, with this latest update, that there is an issue with editing any dataset that has an existing Annotation layer. I am working with support to figure out the problem, but I think that the annotation feature inside of the data set is screwing up the editing.

Everyone that we work with has not moved to Pro because of compatibility issues between ESRI Legacy. There is no information about these changes that are coming out in the updates about the need to upgrade-datasets. It seems to be an after thought. 

The main reason why we will not upgrade the datasets is because there are functions that PRO does not offer yet that we continue to utilize. 

PLEASE, listen to people that are trying to use when they have issues, wither it be performance issues, editing data, or other issues. I see great potential of the program, however you are asking a lot of your customers to make drastic changes to their data for a program that is not being widely utilized.

Chris