AnsweredAssumed Answered

High school attendance data

Question asked by jebdickerson@vistausd.org on Apr 2, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2019 by rleclair-esristaff

Hello all,

I work at a school with significant attendance issues. I acknowledge that we have a culture issue, but before my admin team jumps in and creates new policies around this issue, I'd like to analyse the data a bit to see if we can detect any meaningful patterns or insights to help guide us.

To this end, I've had a report run that gives me the following info for the year so far...

Student IDDateAll dayReasonResidence AddressResidence CityRes Zip

I was able to upload this as a layer, and I can add it to a map that gives me a visual representation of these (13k +) absences, but I'm feeling like there's more here that I could discover with a bit of enrichment or other analysis. Unfortunately, I lack the expertise to clearly see what I need to do in order to get at those insights. 

The map basically just shows a bunch of points/dots, all the same size, for each absence. Some of them represent 1 student at one address, having multiple absences. One thing I think would be cool is to be able to show each point as a different size based on how many absence occurrences are from that address. That is, each point represents an address from which at least one absence has occurred. However, some of those addresses (which is to say, the students that live at that address) have MANY absences, and it would be cool to be able to see that instantly simply by the size of the point. Hope that makes sense. 

If anyone has a moment to offer some advice as to some things I might do to improve the usefulness of this data, I would sure appreciate it. 

Thank you all so much.

Jeb

Outcomes