Using data with scale limitations

Jump to solution
04-02-2019 02:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many of the map-image services on the living atlas have pre-defined scale limitations, which makes it very difficult to do any type of map analysis when the data doesn't show up. Is there a way around this? Are there feature services available for things like Census/ACS that I can use instead?

I'm trying to do a project with ACS household income and when I zoom to my County-level, only the tracts are visible and it's pointless to try and do any analysis at the tract level. When I zoom in to the block level to get the blocks to show up, I'm in an area too small to do anything with.

How are we supposed to use all this data with scale limitations imposed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great question.

The Living Atlas contains a new set of ACS feature services, covering a wide range of demographic topics. You can find them here, or you can add them to your maps through the Living Atlas. That means that you can change the visible range for each geography level within the layer options, or you can remove the geography levels you don’t need. This blog steps you through changing the layer so that it is more suited for your area of interest. One of the GIFs shows how to change the scale range for a layer. This blog showcases many different ways the ACS layers can be used.

For more information about these layers, this Story Map walks you through how to add them into your map in ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great question.

The Living Atlas contains a new set of ACS feature services, covering a wide range of demographic topics. You can find them here, or you can add them to your maps through the Living Atlas. That means that you can change the visible range for each geography level within the layer options, or you can remove the geography levels you don’t need. This blog steps you through changing the layer so that it is more suited for your area of interest. One of the GIFs shows how to change the scale range for a layer. This blog showcases many different ways the ACS layers can be used.

For more information about these layers, this Story Map walks you through how to add them into your map in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos