ArcGIS Pro Field Calculator

Jump to solution
04-02-2019 12:46 PM
EricEscobar
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am new to the ArcGIS Pro and I am having trouble calculating a simple text string in my attribute table using the field calculator.  What I am trying to accomplish is to populate a field with the text "LED". 

Anyone have any insight on how to accomplish this in Pro?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

First, ensure the field you are trying to populate is a text field. If it is a number, date, or any other type this would cause it to fail. Click the field heading in the attribute table, click 'Calculate'. In the Calculate Field pane, type "LED" in the entry box below where it says "FIELD NAME" = , then click Run

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

First, ensure the field you are trying to populate is a text field. If it is a number, date, or any other type this would cause it to fail. Click the field heading in the attribute table, click 'Calculate'. In the Calculate Field pane, type "LED" in the entry box below where it says "FIELD NAME" = , then click Run

EricEscobar
New Contributor II

Thank you, Dylan!  That did the trick.  I was using exclamation points instead of quotes. 

0 Kudos
DylanHarwell
Occasional Contributor

Ah, yes, quotes for strings. Exclamation marks are used around a field name, like if you were calculating field values from one field to another, then your calculate field pane expression would look like this:  "FIElD1" = !Field2!

EricEscobar
New Contributor II

Makes total sense.  Yeah, I was under the impression that it had to be under exclamation marks.  Thanks once again.  

0 Kudos