Group Layers ArcGIS Online

03-28-2019 11:40 AM
AngelHernandez
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGIS online and I am looking for a way to group layers. I know it can be done in the ArcGIS Pro software but not ArcGIS online. I did a google search with this question and received some confusing answers. One of the comments said to use python API and another said to add the group layer as an ArcGIS server web service. The last one was difficult as well since I don't know how to do this using ArcGIS pro. Another video showed how to do this in ArcMap; however, my organization doesn't have an arcmap license, only arcgis pro advance. Can someone help me with this? 

I appreciate any guidance. Thank you.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Angel,

You are not the first - and most probably will not be the last - to notice the ability to group layers is missing in ArcGIS Online...

What you could do for the moment is to upvote this idea on the Ideas list:

Group layers for ArcGIS online 

This idea was first listed in November 2014 and has since then been voted for many times by many users and currently has the status In Product Plan. So, it looks like they are working on it.

HTH,

Egge-Jan

Crystal_Schiffbauer-Bowles
New Contributor

Any update on when we will be able to publish grouped layers from Pro to ArcGIS Online. I can do it in ArcMap, but not Pro?

0 Kudos
EmilyMcLeanACTGOV
Occasional Contributor

Group layers have been made available within map viewer beta 

Try out group layers with Map View Beta

However it has not been made available as standard, and so you will not be able to publish group layers from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online. And when publishing from ArcMap, you will probably receive a warning advising that your group layers won't be preserved when publishing to ArcGIS Online. 

Emily
0 Kudos
Crystal_Schiffbauer-Bowles
New Contributor

I see from the comment above that it's been upvoted since 2014 and it's in the Product Plan. Any timeline? This keeps me from publishing quite a lot of data through Pro as it is required by some of my users for the data to be grouped - limits editing and keeps the Content pane organized.

0 Kudos